Suggestion or maybe Question

Hi I'm new to this board and this community, and I hope I won't come across as rude or ignorant or anything, because that's not my intention. There we go.

Well my question is:

-Why not make CM available as a download, and with that I mean the full game.

Not for free, mind you, that's not what I suggest, but rather a credit card payment and then you get a password valid for ONE FULL download of CM. Maybe then you could cut the price some ($30?), and you could even Include a HTML documentation.

Now, why would I want this, and why do I bitch about it? Well, a couple of reasons:

-I live in Sweden, shipping and handling + taxes will make this game unrealisticly expensive for me.

-The dollar is expensive for us in sweden. Meaning our currency is weak compared to the dollar.

-I want the game asap smile.gif

Ok. As I said, I don't want to piss someone off with this, just ask/make a suggestion.

I'm not saying CM ain't worth it's price, it's just that all together it get 'too expensive' with shipping/taxes and all.

I'll probably end up buying it anyway, since I'm into WWII, but having the alternative of d/l would help a lot. I don't think this would compromise your code either, I mean if you really want to pir8, you can as well make a copy of the CD and sell that...

But as I see it the developers should earn money for their har work, period.

Comments?

Cheers,

Jammer

Hi Jammer--Welcome aboard.

I don't know about making CM available for download, but I do know what a pain it is to wait for something this good.

As far as the cost--it might be high but this is one game I had no problem shelling out fifty + bucks (american) for.....

I've played too many games (computer and board) where I regret spending the money. Not with this one..

--------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Guest Germanboy

Hi Jammer, welcome to the board. I can well understand your frustration, and I think BTS do as well, but they have made some very very good arguments (IMO) about why they don't want to do this. It not only has to do with what you mentioned, but also with cost for setting up secure servers, etc.pp. Maybe do a search, that should prove enlightening. At some point they talked about a European distribution centre, but I don't know what became of that. It would at least mean that taxes are no longer a problem within the EU.

Oh, and regardless of final cost, this game is worth getting.

------------------

Andreas

Well, this has been discussed before, and mainly it's been a security issue, but another thing that probably comes into play is what's happened over at Matrix with thier SP-WAW downloads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Our ISP says we are now using even more bandwidth on our FTP server. The expense to our ISP is over $40,000.00 a month and they can not allow this to go on. The game has now be available for 2 months and has done over 57,000 downloads and is still going.

Because there is no end in site our ISP ask us to take down our FTP server. Instead we agreed to remove the complete SPWaW download but will be leaving all the patches and upgrade files on the server.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cost of running an FTP server that could allow everyone to download the game at anywhere close to a respectable speed would be huge. So I doubt that even if they wanted to offer this method right now, that they would be able to cut the cost. They may have even had to charge more, to defray their ISP costs.

Thanks for your quick replies, guys. smile.gif

I found out about this game through the WWIIOL forum and immediatly got interested.

I can understand that they don't want the hassle with secure servers etc., and belive me, normally I would make a fuzz about $55-70, but as it is my econ is thight (I know nobody cares about that smile.gif), so I only wanted to post the idea of making it a download.

Well ok, if I still have the dough at the end of the month I will cash up..

Cheers,

Welcome to the board Jammer, and believe me we understand about economy as well. But this is a very good game and if you can come up with the cash you won't regret the purchase. In any case, stick around, we occassionally have some fun here ... as long as Andreas doesn't get started on hamsters again.

Joe

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

as long as Andreas doesn't get started on hamsters again. Joe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hamsters as in: if you only had had Hamsters instead of a bunch of Geritoladdicts on cold turkey, you might have stood a chance? Or as in: if you had been replaced as a leader of your troops by a hamster the latter would have won?

To quote Happy Nappy:

Hmmm, grilled Hamster... (and you can have Kölsch with that)

------------------

Andreas

Hamsters as in, Andreas is still living in the past and relying upon his one victory and the warm fuzzy bodies of hamsters to sustain him during the cold, dark days of of his forthcoming defeat ... Opps, sorry, forgot which thread I was in. I thought this was the Peng/Taunt thread, my bad.

See what I mean Jammer smile.gif

Joe

I suggested this a couple of weeks ago as well. I am almost certain that the situation is much worse for anybody living in South Africa tongue.gif

Oh well, who needs food anyway? I could probably stand to gain from losing 4 or 5 kgs ...hmmm...maybe not smile.gif Did eventually buy the game though, should be here in a couple of weeks ( I hope ).

Take comfort in the fact that you are not alone Jammer.

[This message has been edited by Cowaring Traitor (edited 08-11-2000).]

Not sure if was mentioned, but the biggest problem I see with DL the game would be protecting the game from further online distribution beyond that point of sale (read piracy).

OK, now that I take the time to read the WHOLE thread, it was mentioned... I understand that piracy would happen anyway; however, it would suck even worse knowing that anyone with a copy of the online dist. game could easily patch it.

[This message has been edited by Gustang (edited 08-11-2000).]