Another RPG starting

Guest Pillar

My how quickly things change. I left late last night and it was quiet as a church. Come back today and all h*** breaks loose.

I definately like the idea of multiple players. I've got not need to be the big boss, and in fact feel that something like a company commander might be MORE interesting (especially having recently read MacDonalds "Company Commander").

Pillar, I'd be happy to create an operational map or two. Very importat though to know where this little encounter is going to occur. Normandy (bocage), Middle of France (low rolling hills), Eastern France? (higher hills) etc. Any ideas?

Let me reread the threads and I'll have some more comments shortly.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pillar

Glad to see so much enthusiasm!

Due to demand, I'm going to get a "workable" website up before the night is out. This won't look pretty, but it will outline general things, provide email contact lists and q&a.

TOAOW for some reason locks up every time I try to load a battle. I therefore can't use it for battle.

If any of you have "Panzer Campaigns" or anything like that that we could use, please email me! I'm also STILL looking for a map to use. I can't access army.mil due to unknown paranormal reasons (see the numerous threads I've made about this), so the big resource pag is out of bounds for me.

L4 Pilot,

You say you'd rather be a sub? If that's true, than the spot for "Grand Allied Commander" is open smile.gif Please post to verify.

Anyone wanting to be "subs" should email their respective general.

Keep an eye on this thread for the webpage!

smile.gif

I'll tackle "Supreme Commander." If it's too much, then we'll just have a short round "accidently" impact Battalion HQ eek.gif

I'm working on some neat map stuff, to be posted in a seperate thread in a little while. Any idea what area you want to set this in? Any thoughts on size of units. Am I a company CO? Battalion? Regiment?

Guest Pillar

I'd like to set it in France near belguim, the time around after the allies broke out. That way we can have some mid to moderate hills, forests, and towns/cities.

I appreciate the link, but I can't access anything that has army.mil as it's host. No one knows why, but my browser always acts like the page doesn't exist. Could you guys email me some maps?

The maps are really the only thing holding this thing back from happening!

Pillar,

Is this the sort of map you were thinking of with a grid. Or were you thinking of something historical.

map.jpg

You can even get neat "recon photos" of the town in the map above

oblique.jpg

Oviously all done with the CM scenario engine. But looking at your last message, I guess you want something that covers a larger area. I'' be looking on the net.

[This message has been edited by L4Pilot (edited 07-30-2000).]

Guest Pillar

That would be a great map for a city, but the map will be "Operational" in scale.

This isn't Team CM like the other "RPG" games running, this is more of an actual role playing game on an operational scale.

CM will only be used for battles, nothing more.

Guest Pillar

The CMRPG Site is up!!!

www.geocities.com/cmrpg/index.html

Here you can get information on the "Concept" behind the fuss.

Also provided is the Player Roster, so far only including the two Supreme Commanders.

From there, those of you interested in playing can contact these commanders and request a position.

Commanders: I highly recommend AGAINST giving anyone a definite position yet, since we don't know what the force composition will be. However, this is a good time to get "resumes" and interview possible candidates.

***NOTE****

This website is a poor excuse for HTML design and exists soley to provide information and contact links! You have been warned!! smile.gif

(Any competent web designers who are interested in working on the site out of the goodness of their hearts, feel free to email me)

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 07-31-2000).]

Pillar,

I believe that it would be in the best interest of all players and in the spirit of Roleplaying that all all elements for the RPG be completely new. IE the map, etc. This way no one person or side has an advantage in out of character knowledge, and also are not confirned to historical blunders. The timeline and equipment is fine, but things such as geographic areas and terrain should be your creation.

Just my 2 cents. smile.gif

Wow, this has grown! I was originally applying when it was a two player game, but now it's grown!

If there's something available for a subcommander that fits into the parameters I gave, sure, give me a yell.

Pillar, can you have the computer just make up random maps? that would save you a lot of trouble designing them.

Something I'd like to see, though it's very "gamey", is someone running a campaign starting with hitting the beaches on D-Day. Each person runs a group of soldiers in this massive effort, and their fates. When it's over, the survivors grow and continue in their battles through the next year, maybe splitting into pairs for subsequent battles. Would require lots of work/multiple gamemasters, though.

Everyone that is wanting to join either side please send us an email with your name and forum handle.

Please bear with us as I am waiting for more information so I can decide on how many initial commanders I would like to have.

Thanks

James

Second that here re: posting desire to play. I'll definately be happy to share some of the appropriately sized battles with subordinates as appropriate.

Pillar,

One other suggestion for an "operational" map is the game PanzerCampaigns:Normandy which I purchased, and think highly of (with a few small exceptions). It covers an area about 100 miles x 50 miles (IIRC) around the landing zones in 1km hexes. I could send you a snippet to see if it would be appropriate. Not exactly the area you had in mind but...

I'm also racking my brains for some board games with the right sized maps that might be appropriate. Anybody got any ideas?

Guest Pillar

I drafted a really basic looking map in a graphics program. It isn't for visuals of course, it's just to give the commanders an idea of the terrain and the major hills involved.

Go take a look at it at www.geocities.com/cmrpg

I need someone with some experience in graphics programs to make a grid overlay for me, that will not be too bold. A pale yellow would be nice. Also, I need some way to numerate the grid without it being intrusive to the graphics.

Lets get this map thing done so we can get on with the RPG! biggrin.gif

Guest Pillar

PS -- If you can design a better map, that has the same layout, or if you have any comments about the map, email me at

mailto:moiety@hotmail.com.

I would not consider the maps generated by CM as operational maps. They are just too small. The TOAW idea is greate but you could also consider using maps provided in the 'After The Battle' magazine. Reading these magazines also help you getting into the history line of your scenario as the gamemaster. It is not easy to create maps in CM from those printed and even when the scale is provide you have to consider 'prescaling' as a result of adjustment for the size of the magazine. But the good news is that you can almost certain get your hands in every important scenario of WWII. Just a thourght.

Henrik Malmvig

I wish I could remember the name of the company that did the program for the digital versions of the military unclassified maps. Anyone else think of thier name of the program name please post. I am almost sure without even looking or asking that the military version is for Government use only and wouldn't want to go down that road anyway. biggrin.gif

I do however believe that the company also released it for the public, but have no clue what it was called. Great 1 over 125,000 maps and beyond!