Military Museums

I just spent a few hours at the Fort Lewis museum here in Washington State. I had a fun time checking out the tanks and AFV as well as uniforms and weapons on display. I got to see an M4 Sherman, a Chaffee, a Greyhound (didnt realize it was open toppped..hmm), an M3 Stuart, a Pershing, and halftracks galore. Saw some Korean and 60's era stuff too like the M103 Heavy Tank...whoa its a big sucker. Then inside, the had several Germans, US, Japanese, and Russian WW2 gear. Saw a Panzerfaust as well as the MG42, MP41, MP40, Assault 42, among others. It was a real treat. The only disappointment was that the tanks were all welded shut. I want to climb through them all. Bummer. Does anyone know where they have WW2 tanks on display and allow you to get in them?

Thanks

TeAcH

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does anyone know where they have WW2 tanks on display and allow you to get in them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know of any in the States that do this regularly, but you might be able to get special permission if you set it up in advance.

The Brits have the Tank Museum where most of the tanks still run. Maybe they let folks at least look inside during their summer shows. Other than that, the Imperial War Museum has a Jagpanther with a lot of the side armor cut away so you can see all inside the fighting compartment.

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

1) A fellow on the Illinois/Wisconsin Boarder will drive people around in one of his many Shermans for $500/hour. He said the Air Filter was really expensive and combine that with gas and whalla $500. Located in Kenosha, Wisconsin. He also has self propelled guns, personnel carriers, Sky cranes (really big Copter), other copters, and the most awesome willys jeep with full gear and models in uniform, matching mint condition cycle and two (2) 81 mm mortars. He really wants to get rid of one.

2) Wanna drive a tank: You can drive all frickin day at "Tanks-a-Lot" in the UK call:--> 01525 211446 or 0860 455636. They have Main battle tanks (Chieftains), self-propelled guns, Rapier Rocket carrier. About 50 vehicles in all. PRICE: 160-200 british pounds per person per day.

Richard Kalajian

TeAcH,

If you want to get in and crawl around the vehicles, your best bet may be visiting a public re-enactment. There are numerous re-enactment groups throughout the country and many will stage public re-enactments. For example, my wife and I (she's a trooper) visit Fort Knox each Fourth of July when they have a public re-enactment. There are a couple re-enactment groups (LAH for the Germans, not sure of who the US forces are associated with) who stage this each year and there are numerous Shermans, Stuarts, M3's, greyhounds and for the Germans a couple scout cars, Kubelwagens, Kettenkraftrads, and a couple of Swiss post-war Hetzers painted to resemble the wartime German versions. After the battle, the crowd can get in and crawl around them. Inside the Patton Museum at Fort Knox is a cutaway King Tiger that is pretty cool. This was the vehicle that was recovered in Belgium during the Ardennes Offensive, I think. I remember seeing pictures of US personnel trying to recover the beast. They also have the partially completed Panther II, the one with the modified hull but fitted with the G turret.

Some museums have outdoor displays that while being horrible for the condition of the vehicles, can be crawled around when the attendants aren't looking. Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland has the largest collection of such vehicles in this hemisphere.