Poll: Do you read AAR's?

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Hello guys

I just wanted to know how many of you guys/girls are interested in reading After Action Reports. It's much easier to make these things when you know that someone is viewing them. It would surprise you how many hours it takes to make on of these damn AAR's, hehe.

So my questions are:

1.Do you read AAR's?

2.Why do you read them?

3.How would you describe the ULTIMATE AAR?

wink.gif

Regards,

Heinz

------------------

"To subdue your enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Visit my AAR site:

home.online.no/~andhess/cm/

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heinz 25th PzReg:

So my questions are:

1.Do you read AAR's?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read every one I can get may hands on. I would rather read AARs than play the game! eek.gif I like to write them too, I guess I must be a frustrated writer rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2.Why do you read them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because it's like reading a short story. A good AAR is really a good story. Not to mention that one can learn a lot by reading AARs from good players.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>3.How would you describe the ULTIMATE AAR?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, maybe there is no such thing, just as there is no single model of an ideal woman; my criteria for a good AAR are the same as for a good story: it should be well-written, full of suspense, informative, and like a good story, build up to a climax. AARs can be funny biggrin.gif, dramatic frown.gif, informative confused.gif, tragic tongue.gif and so on. Perhaps the best styles for AARs are either documentary or personal, which leaves a lot of room for creativity.

I can never get enough, c'mon guys, write 'em up and sharpen up your analytical an creative writing skills! biggrin.gif

Henri

1. Yes, if written by a good tactician/writer.

2. To analyze and learn his tactics. And for entertainment purposes.

3. Well written, including the thoughtwork of why the writer decided

to do what he did. One containing a "new" tactic I can use.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Guest *Captain Foobar*

1) yes I read them all the time.

2) To compare my tactical approach with other players. Its a great way to learn the winning ways. It is also entertaining to read a turn-by-turn AAR of opposing players, and see what they were thinking at the same time. You can get insights this way that are unavailable elsewhere

3) The ultimate AAR is the alpha AAR. It sold me on CM, and I still go back and look at that sometimes.. Where is that scenario, Fionn????? Hurry!

1) Yes I do. The Alpha AAR was the first thing I saw on CM and I was hooked ever since. I still remember that feeling of discovery and the anticipation for the next turn to be posted!

2) I read them more for the story and then for the tactics. Reading a AAR from Fionn is as good to me or better than a new mystery novel. Not quite sure what will happen in the next chapter (turn). I would write one but I dont think people would like to read how the 'big gun took out the thingy with tracks'.

3)An AAR in which I was that one thing....that winner thing I hear about. smile.gif

VS

1) I read all the ones I can get a hold of over at CMHQ.

2) I read them mostly for entertainment, but also to see how other people fight their battles. I like comparing tactics, learning new things, and getting fun out of doing it.

3) The ultimate AAR would probobly be like the ones I read in "White Dwarf" magazines for a fantasy war board game I like called "Warhammer 40k".

That is, first there's the setup (if it's a PBEM) with opponent's thoughts and tactics as well as force selections and such.

Second, there would be the turn by turn account, with turns clearly listed so readers could clearly picture the timing of these battles and fire fights. This section should be told from a story-teller like perspective, not necessarily centering around one individual or one side.

Third, the two opponents each talk about what they did wrong and what they did right and how their plan succeeded or failed. They may even make plans for later games against their opponent for a rematch.

For games against the AI, simply have one person do the before and after game analysis of the battle and leave the story telling part as is, since it doesn't have to center around one side.

When I finally get the game in my greedy little hands, I plan to seek someone who would be willing to participate in just such a game with me and write an AAR afterwards.

This, in my mind, is the perfect AAR

------------------

...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

[This message has been edited by The Commissar (edited 08-06-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

The ultimate AAR is the alpha AAR. It sold me on CM, and I still go back and look at that sometimes.. Where is that scenario, Fionn????? Hurry!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fionn's alpha AAR is in the archives section on the CM HQ site.

I remember that in the old days, some wargaming magazines used to have AARs written by professional writers. I really enjoyed these, even when I didn't have the game eek.gif

Henri

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Hi

Thx guys for letting me know what you think. It has given me a better understanding of what you think is important in a good AAR, and I will try to live up to that. I think the Alpha AAR was what got a lot of people interested in CM. It was written by people who have a good knowledge of the English language, and that always helps when writing a story. The screenshots might be good and all, but its the text that captures the mind of the reader. So I guess I just have to improve my writing, and maybe, just maybe, my AAR's will be close to the Alpha AAR.

wink.gif

Cheers

Heinz

------------------

"To subdue your enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Visit my AAR site:

Heinz -

1.) Absolutely biggrin.gif

2.) Because it provides a fascinating look into tactical thought, and gives you an idea as to what tactics people are using

3.) Fionn's "Sunken Lane" AAR - it's incredible from not just a tactical standpoint but also a writing view.

If I might offer you some advice, I would suggest that you put more writing into your AARs. I think that your layout is good, and I like your liberal use of screenshots (helps with visualization) but I find that I can't really "immerse" myself into your AARs. Perhaps adding more commentary would be good, at least IMHO.

Good luck,

------------------

KMHPaladin

KHarkins@voicenet.com

"We have the enemy surrounded. We are dug in and

have overwhelming numbers. But enemy airpower is

mauling us badly. We will have to withdraw."

-- Japanese infantry commander, SITREP, Burma

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Henri,

I know where the alpha AAR is, I visit it often. What I am waiting for is the actual scenario, converted to CM v1.03. It has been said that someone is working on it currently, and I hope they deliver soon. smile.gif

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Thx Paladin

I know that I can improve on my writing, and I will try my best to do so.

smile.gif

Heinz

------------------

Visit my AAR site: