Historical accuracy

Greetings!

I need a little help, if possible, in choosing units for PBEMs. Being historically challenged, I have no idea which units were rare, which were not, and which were thought fictional. Nor do I know where units fought (i.e. when is it appropriate to use paratroops? What tank/arty support would be attached?). What level of artillery support is appropriate for a company? A battalion?

I have seen bits and pieces of information, but what would help me would be some sort of rarity/unit organization quick reference. I've offended a few people in PBEM through my choice of units/level of artillery support, and I would like to avoid this in the future.

For those in the know - do you get all of your information from separate sources? I just today bought the "Handbook on German Military Forces," so I am hoping this will help a bit, but I can tell that gleaning this information will be slow going, judging from the size of the book, and my available time.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

-Scorp

My must immediate answer to that: "I've offended a few people in PBEM" is that they were lucky it was you.

It's a game.

Play whatever and however you want in order to get a grasp about the game mechanism.

Then you'll go for historicity, balanced troop composition and all.

In between, change partners.

If you're lacking some, play me.

But try to enjoy yourself while schooling with your books.

And when playing those guys, ask them some questions since they are so VOCAL.

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 09-06-2000).]

I used to have a great deal of fun with the historical accuracy when I played squad leader, down to scanning on my work scanner (no one owned their own scanner in those days) topo maps and printing them on a plotter using sticky transparency, then pasting them on grid boards. I know we would have endless fun choosing and fighting historical units and battles, often shooting each others research down very vocally.

The first thing is that some people are very sensitive to what is called a Munchkin gamer. If you choose to have a dozen M26 Pershings in 1944, it may make tactical sense and be a "good" hand, but people will rebel because no one actually used that tank until 1945, and then not many were used. Munchkinitis can infuriate even the calmest gamers, but often they go overboard and accuse the people who just don't know with it. All you have to say is "please help" and people will calm down (mostly).

Next there is the history buffs who like to argue if the kummaloff device was used in July of 1944 by Tiger tank crews and should they get a bonus for using it. Here, you can have someone say, "you ignorant idiot to you" and they are just in the mood for the argument, not really against you, and they are expecting you to counter attack with citations, facts, and speculation, and maybe they will say, hmmm, maybe it wasn't until August afterall. Here you may just want to say, "hell, I couldn't telll a Panther G from a Panther A if it urinated on my tent", then get on with the game.

So, throw in with Pawbroon, and in a few months you will be expounding about the number of rivits on the Tiger II and the smoke making capacity of an American Engineer squad like the rest of them.

If it is in the game use it are my thoughts on the matter.

If historical accuracy is the order of the day then a ToE maybe should be supplied. Any issues can be worked out before hand. Above all else have fun! If your current partner is not your idea of fun there are plenty of gamers available through this forum biggrin.gif

guardo (I can't remember his name damnit confused.gif has a unit database you can download here: http://w1.312.telia.com/~u31213280/addons.htm

It has unit rarily listings in it taken from ASL.

------------------

No, there will be no sequels. Charles and Steve have given up wargame design in disgust and have gone off to Jamaica to invest their new-found wealth in the drug trade. -Michael emrys

[This message has been edited by Vanir (edited 09-07-2000).]

Thank you, everyone, I appreciate it. Where would I go for artillery information, especially regarding the Allies? (I am assuming I can find the German info in my new book)

Abbott, would you mean the flank which just decimated an entire company+ of my infantry? The Brits thought this was World War I again.

-Scorp