Love Combat HQ; Site Access Pathetic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DesertFox:

Darwin

I´m using the beta absolutely problemfree. No crashes, no slowdowns, no annoying advertising.

Helge

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, one and all!!! Not only did I get a crash course on the Internet which was most informative, but thanks to your help (iCab) I can now visit CMHQ and actually see what's there without courting a nervous breakdown. iCab's a HUGE improvement.

Gratefully yours,

John Kettler

I use NEOTrace to root out slow nodes. It gives loads of information including the registrant of a particular server (e.g. thegamers.net is registered to North Carolina Research and Education Network). right now it is 13 hops from my machine here at home with a 56k modem attched at the blazing speed of 46666bps. average response time for a packet is 122 ms. yipee.

At work I get fishbellied scum pissing and moaning about our internet connection all the time... it wasn't until i got NeoTrace that i was able to say "Shut your filthy hole you whimpering twit. It's not MY network that is bogged down!" Anyway. Not to be a sycophantic boot-licking toady to MaddMatt wink.gif but he is absolutely correct that you can rarely ever blame a single node or site or server for slow response time. the whole damn thing is too messy. man this is an idiots ramble if i ever did one. "IM TALKING AND I CAN"T SHUT UP!!!"

buhbye

peng out

------------------

Peng sez "die a lot now."

I suspect this is something that it out of Madmatt's control. I too have the exact same problem of just the banners loading. I'm a Mac user, and I think therein lies the catch. Something about TGNs banner frame doesn't play well with Mac browsers (well, at least Netscape, I haven't tried IE). I do the same thing as someone else mentioned, jsut load the content frame. That's the stuff coded by Matt, and that frame loads more then quickly enough, even on my 28.8 modem.

Granted, I also often read it via lynx, then just open up the browsers directly to the pretty pictures wink.gif

• 1 year later...

I'm a Mac user too (10 Mbps connection), and view Combat HQ with IE5 no problem. I do sometimes have problems downloading mods and scenarios, with some downloads stopping just short of completion. I'm not sure if this has more to do with the site or the browser or the OS.