In case you haven't heard...Freebie at CMHQ...Details inside...

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

I know that for some unfortunate few, this day has still not brought forth Combat Mission. Still others have yet to take the plunge and download the MDMP. So as I was playing a little ambush scenario today I decided to go ahead and record one full turns worth of audio and upload it so that you could sample for yourself what the audio component sounds like in the Mad-Dog Mod Pack 1. The file is 2.7 Mb's in size and was downsampled to 22hz even though the actual sounds are 44hz in the game.

This will give you a good idea as to what I mean when I talk about my new Hi-Action standard for sounds...

I hope you enjoy them!

HERE IS THE LINK:

http://combathq.thegamers.net/misc/1turn22.zip

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-04-2000).]

Maddmatt:

The soundbite sounds incredible!

People, this listen is certainly worth a piddling 2.7 mb download. Makes you want to play some CM that's for sure.

Also, i'm curious. Who was getting ambushed, GI's or germans? I suspect germans are ambushing gi's but can't be 100% certain.

Ren

The new "hi-action" sounds are quite useful, especially the kill sounds for grunts. I was playing a BN-sized battle I set up with 10+ turns of no-mans-land between forces. After a while, my guys started taking very long-range MG fire. It was from so far away that the FOW didn't show tracers or even sound contacts for several turns. With the attacking frontage so wide, it was also impossible to keep an eye on everything. Thus, I would never have known that I took a casualty without the YEEAAGGGHHH of the "hi-action" sounds.

OTOH, I think the stock grass does a better job of showing terrain contours than either the hi-res or low-res grass of the MDMP-1.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 07-04-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Thanks Bullethead, Increased Audio awareness was VERY important when I made up these sounds. The sound of a given weapon adds to the FOW as now you can distinguish between pistols, rifles, BAR's, Sub-Machineguns and MP-44's.

You hear that MP-44 sound you know you up against a tough German unit (or at least a tough one up close!).

About the grass...Yeah sadly Dan and I have talked about it and we sort of feel the same way. While we like the enhanced detail of the hi-res version, we admit that the default terrain does a better job of discriminating between the various elevations. The problem with the stock grass is the banding that occurs between the elevations. The levels do not blend so much as contrast between themselves. That is what Dan set out to rectify but it did not come out quite the way we had hoped. The Low-Res grass that we offer is a good blend of the two though and you might want to give it a shot.

The good news is that we plan on again tackling the grass in a future MDMP. Won't be #2 though but perhaps 3! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-04-2000).]

Guest Pillar

The only thing that prevents me from upgrading to this new sound pack is the MG sound for the MG42, which is the SPR sound. Unfortunately, this isn't accurate as far as I've heard.

For lack of better knowledge, this has created a bit of personal doubt towards the accuracy of the other weapons sounds as well.

Any plans to enhance the realism?

Guest Madmatt

Accuracy is in the the ear of the beholder my friend.

Have a listen to the stock sound effects and tell me how accurate you think those are. There is very little distinction between the rifles, BAR, SMG's and pistols.

I am not saying that MDMP-1 sounds are the MOST ACCURATE, nor would would I EVER say that. What I AM saying is that they are more clear and easier to distinguish between the different squad and support weapons.

I also provide in the readme file a list of all the sounds replaced and their file names. If you don't like a sound then replace it back with the stock version.

In the near future we will be making available a utility to manage the file swapping between MODS and the default versions. The alpha version is done already and its sweet!

I have only provided you with a choice, not a solution...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Madmatt, based on my limited knowledge of the impact on sound quality on hardware, I have no idea if this mod will tax my hardware more than the stock sounds?

The download sounds great, and is real sharp and distinct (the main improvement I think). However, I am curious if my old HP pavilion with its original sound card can handle it. Any idea?

Thanks,

Josh

Guest Madmatt

The sounds are the same sample rate and size as the originals. There will be no more processor hit with the MDMP-1 sounds over the stock sounds.

And remember, as clear as the download wave file sounds, its WAS downsampled by 50%! The game itself plays sounds back at 44hz, the demo only 22hz. That is why the MDMP sounds dont work in the demo. I downsampled that wave file so it would be smaller and easier to swallow as a download.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-05-2000).]

Madmatt

I really appreciate the effort you and Yours put into the modpack. To me the sounds are really immersive. I would have been happy with the stock sounds, but once I heard the mod sounds during the same scenario, I almost died. Thank you for helping to make a great game even better.

Jonathan