Formation & timeline combinations

Is it possible to pull a formation from let's say late 1943 into a scenario that takes place in early 1945 when that older type / composition no longer existed?

Historical accuracy is obviously not the goal here!

I'm new(ish) to scenario design and I've tried a couple of different things, but I guess I'm either missing something or it's just not possible?

I believe this is possible. Set the scenario date to sometime in 1943, grab a formation, then set the scenario date to sometime in 1945. The date change shouldn't delete the formation, though I haven't tested this. I think you'll just have to give it a try and see if it works.

Huh... seems to be working now(!!), but I swear that what Centurian suggested was one of the first things I tried. So I have a Ranger Battalion from '43 Italy working with a Ranger Battalion from '44, and something similar for early and late German motorized battalions.

Perhaps there was some other kind of limitation on the formations I'd originally chosen, or I screwed something up, but at least it's confirmation that conceptually it is possible. 

Thanks gentlemen!

On 5/28/2024 at 2:09 PM, Centurian52 said:

I believe this is possible. Set the scenario date to sometime in 1943, grab a formation, then set the scenario date to sometime in 1945. The date change shouldn't delete the formation, though I haven't tested this. I think you'll just have to give it a try and see if it works.

This is correct and will work as he describes. You can also switch from blue vs red to red vs red to add red forces to the blue side and visa versa.