Sniper in position and his line of sight?

I'm new to CMx and playing a game where I have moved my German sniper team into place expecting a long view from the woods down a railroad track, and beyond, with trees on either side. Covering an area of expected approach.  As I set my waypoints I checked LOS to make sure he had vision. The track bed is slightly elevated but as the sniper approached LOS was there. Now he is in position but seems to want to take a prone position which places him too low to see down the tracks and I go from the "blue line" to a no sight message when checking with "target".  The team is not "hiding" it has only reached the final waypoint, but the spotter is prone looking through his binoculars and the sniper is prone with rifle ready looking through the scope.  Looks like if they were up on a knee the LOS would be there. I did set a target arc thinking if he knew what he was expected to cover he would put himself into position to see, but that had no effect. So...

Will the sniper raise his head to get a view, or am I stuck with him never acquiring the LOS I expected to have? The only fix I can see would be to have him crawl up the embankment of the tracks but this would leave him exposed. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

There is a way to get troops to kneel rather than go prone. If you retreat the sniper team 20 metres or so (quick move would do), then from the new position issue a pause command of about 10 or 15 seconds and then a hunt order back to the position that you want them in (or maybe just past it). On the next turn (whilst the team is still hunting) click the pause button on the interface and the team should kneel (I can't remember if they kneel straight away or on the following turn). It takes a bit of practice to stop them in the correct place so a bit of trial and error will probably be needed. You might also want to issue them with a target arc in the direction you want them to shoot, after they have paused. Hope all this makes sense.....