Games Domain mentions Combat Mission

http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/strategy/index.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>All of these are traditional wargames in the truest sense. A bit more ambitious (to say the least) is Charles Moylan's Combat Mission, which Tim previewed last year and which is shaping up to possibly be the game that turns wargaming (at least of the tactical variety) on its head. CM is hardcore simulation which actually takes full advantage of advances in graphics technology to create an experience quite unlike anything I've ever seen from a real wargame. I've only recently received a full beta and have been toying with it all weekend. Awfully impressive. Tim has been playing with the beta for considerably longer than I have and should have some further thoughts up soon - watch this space.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually what I found most intriguing was the release by Steve Green r.e. Wargamer: Napoleon 1813 and how the game fell apart not due to developer negligence (as it often feels), but due to publishers whims, er, decisions.

Once again, the battlefront manifesto leaps to mind.

Adam Arabian

[This message has been edited by A Arabian (edited 02-08-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A Arabian:

Actually what I found most intriguing was the release by Steve Green r.e. Wargamer: Napoleon 1813 and how the game fell apart not due to developer negligence (as it often feels), but due to publishers whims, er, decisions.

Once again, the battlefront manifesto leaps to mind.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BOY, you got that right! I just read it and yes, let us let BTS finish Combat Mission to their "That's good enough" level and accept it. I'd be happy to wait for the TCP/IP mode, because I'll need to practice up with the final release before wanting to go up against someone else anyway wink.gif I'm a decent CM player, but not that great! smile.gif

Back to Napolean 1813, my uncle bought it and tried it. He said that the ordering of your troops method was ****ty because it involved too many options, and while trying to do all that, everything else was going on in real time. So the enemy was upon you before you really had a chance to react accordingly.

So that's what I like, and he liked for that matter, about the Combat Mission Demo ordering phase. Being able to intelligently set up your plan in a "paused" state rather than doing a "click-fest" that RTS games are infamous for.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 02-08-2000).]