Excellent WSJ Guide to ME issues

Excellent WSJ Guide to ME issues - perhaps helpful for CMSF scenario designers?

https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/a-guide-to-the-middle-easts-growing-conflicts-in-six-maps-2ea0c0da?mod=world_lead_pos4

Iran

The terrorist group ISIS-K struck an Iranian mourning ceremony for Gen. Qassem Soleimani, who was killed in a U.S. strike in 2020. Iran subsequently fired long-range missiles targeting what it said were terrorists in Syria, Iraq and Pakistan. Analysts said Iran was demonstrating its weapons’ capabilities to the world, and to the U.S. and Israel in particular. In turn, Pakistan fired back on Iran but was careful to say it didn’t want escalation.

cc9ea2cc-3f46-4967-beba-11465e101574-MID

Lebanon-Israel Border

There are daily exchanges between the Israeli military and Iran-backed Lebanese militia group Hezbollah, a U.S.-designated terrorist group that has vowed to keep firing on Israeli positions for the duration of the war in Gaza. Israel, for its part, says it wants Hezbollah to pull its forces back from the border. Israel says it would prefer diplomacy but is prepared for war.

fdc87f79-65a3-4ae7-8044-ee867321c17e-MID

Attacks

Iraq

Iran-backed militias have fired dozens of rockets at American bases in Iraq and Syria. In response, the U.S. carried out a strike that killed a top Iraqi militia commander. Iraq now says that it is reconsidering hosting international troops. 

4fb8c794-cd05-4475-82c0-5c29b69bcea6-ME_

Red Sea

Iran-backed Houthis have conducted strikes targeting more than two dozen ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, upending ship traffic heading to and from the Suez Canal. In response, the U.S. has led dozens of strikes on Yemen in recent weeks.

be88f847-ed9e-4493-8ee4-0adc292252bd-ME_

Edited by Erwin