Unable to acquire 50 cal from an AAV?

Erwin

In both cases: You just can´t.

You have 2 sorts of ammo on a combat vehicle: Integral ammo that can only be obtained and used by the vehicle itself and loaded ammo that can be aquired by anybody inside it.

If you look in the ammo inventory of a vehicle you can see 2 shades of green, one brighter than the other. That is the integral ammo that the vehicle needs for combat. You cannot share or load it up with anyone else. The rest (the darker green items) is free to go for everyone and can even be used by the vehicle crew itself, if they have the right weapons for it. (not just talking about AAV here).

For the snipers: Note that .50cal M2 machine gun rounds are not the same as .50cal sniper rounds. Look in the ammo inventory of your sniper team. Probably you will find something like ".50cal Mk211" or such. You need exactly that type of ammo for that sniper rifle. And I might be wrong at that but I suppose those rounds are not loaded on any vehicle.

Probably if a scenario designer put some in a vehicle for his scenario, yes, but in a common quick battle I guess there is no way.

Edited by Brille

5 hours ago, Brille said:

I suppose those rounds are not loaded on any vehicle.

Yeah.  Unfortunately CM2 does not seem to allow for the sniper 50 cal to have any way to resupply.  Not sure why.  What about the M2 Humvee with the 50 cal?  Any idea why that ammo is also different from what is used in the AAV?

20 hours ago, Erwin said:

Yeah.  Unfortunately CM2 does not seem to allow for the sniper 50 cal to have any way to resupply.  Not sure why.  What about the M2 Humvee with the 50 cal?  Any idea why that ammo is also different from what is used in the AAV?

It seems like I must correct myself there, sorry. I was always under the impression that the .50cal snipers could only use their specialized ammo for their rifles and I would have sworn that I´ve read it somewhere too.

Anyways... I´ve tested it just now to be 100% sure and I was wrong. I got myself a Humvee, which has some loaded rounds of 12,7mm rounds (50cal API) in them that can be aquired by anyone.

So I did it with snipers with their M107 .50cal rifles and they actually shoot them.

Just only the "50cal MK211" bullets don´t seem to be found anywhere.

After reading a bit in the WWW it doesn´t seem to be that special of a round at all in the end. It is "just" a multi-purpose type of bullet, which, because of the more complex build up and therefor higher pricing, is more often used for sniper rifles than machine guns.

In fact even the M2-heavy weapons team have a few of these rounds as well.

The MK211-bullets (Raufoss MK211) have armor penetrating capabilities with better after penetration effects due to the small amount of explosive filling.

Their destructive force is compared with a standard 20mm round (wikipedia).

The more you know. :D

Edited by Brille