Interesting find on the performance front...

So to keep this brief, I recently was encountering crashing issues with what I thought was due to Windows 11 and the TPM not behaving with my Ryzen 3700x cpu. I got around that and it led me to continue having occasional issues but now only when the computer was doing very little.
This led me to discover the CPPC or "collaborative processor performance control", or whatever it stands for.
There are settings to control this in your BIOS though the naming may vary depending on specific hardware/brand etc.

So anyway, this used to be known as "cool n quiet" or something and it basically allows your CPU to throttle the power (even on prefer max performance power mode) when it is idling or close to idling. 
There is also a setting that allows "preferred cores". 
Now, I am not an expert in this stuff but having disabled all of it I have seen my rig return to stability and just now I thought I would try out the ever heart-breaking "Bear in the Sun" mission from the CMCW US campaign.
If you have seen my previous posts around this you will know that I have had a hell of a time with stuttering during set up, beyond what you would expect or call reasonable. I'm talking 2 solid minutes of non-responsiveness etc. Real bad.

With this CPPC stuff all disabled, forcing my cpu to not go into a low power state when on a low load (which is what you find during deployment phase in CM i suspect), I was able to deploy and play some of the mission for testing and it never stuttered more than a couple of heart beats.
So if you are having the bother I have been, this may be another thing to consider if you are handy with the BIOS etc. If not then please don't go messing around in there as you could really upset your rig if you change the wrong settings. 

🫠

40 minutes ago, Bagpipe said:

It's a hardware setting so not Windows exactly though I don't doubt that Windows in general does not help the issues one bit. Updates cause more problems every time lol

No, it really is the OS in full control of all those power saving features for the hardware.

Some minimal set is controlled by the BIOS, but that applies mostly to laptops.

On 11/20/2023 at 1:15 AM, Redwolf said:

No, it really is the OS in full control of all those power saving features for the hardware.

Some minimal set is controlled by the BIOS, but that applies mostly to laptops.

Well then in that case I am hardly surprised. Windows causes nothing but bother these days, I think they want users to try different systems 😂