CMBN - LOS Ranges vs Weather Conditions

WimO

I wanted to have a better understanding of the effect of weather conditions on CMBN's clear (blue line) line of sight ranges. I created a map that was perfectly flat, had only short grass and no features. Then set up a U.S. rifle platoon on one edge and drew target lines down range under various conditions for both day and night. Attached is a pdf showing the results for your use. Measurements are not perfect but good enough.

This is very helpful for me when creating scenarios. I find the night-time range for overcast conditions to be hugely excessive when compared to veteran's accounts.

CMBN LOS Weather.pdf

Thanks for making and sharing. There was another similar table made for CMFB some years ago.

One thing to be careful about is the exact time of night and the exact date the scenario takes place in. The game tracks the moon and its phases, so if the moon is not up yet on your particular date, or if it's not a full moon, then the amount of light will be very different.