Guest Big Time Software

No idea about map size. The limit will most likely be huge, though. We need it to be for the campaign games smile.gif

You will have control over both length and width dimensions.

Steve

• 1 year later...

BTS: "No idea on map size."

Hmm. Could you ask the game designers that question, then?

Seriously. Was this a legitimate post, or were you just tired of answering the same question over and over again? I find it incomprehensible that the designers of the game don't know the maximum map size, so I'm looking for a rational reason for the above response. It was answered to be 4km maximum length about three weeks ago-is that still accurate?

Steve

Um,, I think Steve and Charles ARE the Designers.

I highly suspect both KNOW everything about almost all aspects of the game.

So I suspect we may just have to wait until we get the scenario editor in our hot little hands to really know how BIG these things can get and what effect a REALLY big map and battle will have on our poor cpu's

I can wait for the answer to this one.

thanks again BTS for EVERYTHING

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stephen Smith:

Seriously. Was this a legitimate post, or were you just tired of answering the same question over and over again? I find it incomprehensible that the designers of the game don't know the maximum map size, so I'm looking for a rational reason for the above response. It was answered to be 4km maximum length about three weeks ago-is that still accurate?

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Maximum size for scenarios is 8 square kilometers. However, no map side can be longer than 4000m.

Maximum size for operations is 15 square kilometers. However, no map side can be longer then 5000m. You will usually play only on a smaller portion of the operational map during a battle, and only that portion will be visible. (I say usually because there can be operations which use the whole map.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This quote was from Moon on 05/20 on this thread... http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/004779.html

BTW, if you'll notice the date of the original message, and the BTS reply, this message is a little old. At the time of the BTS reply, they may not have settled on a hard limit for the map sizes. That would explain the cryptic response.

[This message has been edited by Mikeydz (edited 06-09-2000).]

I also expect that the map size issue is somewhat related to the hardware you and whoever else might be playing your designed scenario have and what it can handle.

Some folks may not be able to handle the max size maps since their hardware would cause the screen to have jumps and glitches as you pan across it, etc. I would venture to guess that those with the min. hardware requirements (especially weak graphics cards) might have trouble with the max. map size indicated by Mikeydz above. Especially if the max size map is filled with dozens upon dozens of units which also contributes to the equation.

Also, I believe sometime back Steve and Charles had indicated that they were not sure if hard limits on map sizes and numbers of units were going to be enforced or not. This depended on some programming and other related issues if I remember correctly. However, Steve's response above indicates to me that at least for the max map size issue that they may have decided to 1) have no imposed limit and/or 2) the limit is so large that you'd really never practically be able to design a sceanrio that was playable that would exceed said "huge" limit.

Mikester out.

[This message has been edited by Mikester (edited 06-09-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stephen Smith:

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check the DATE on that post from Steve, Steve. He said they didnt have a known size 15 MONTHS ago and back then they probably didn't. The maximum size of the maps IS WELL KNOWN now and even cursarary seach should find it spelled out several times. I believe Moon addressed the max map size just a few weeks ago...

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing