Bumps in the Dark '82 (spoilers)

This is a great game overall. Likely my favorite of the bunch. This scenario really stands out for its harshness and shows the consequences of the fog of war. I play real time as that is just my preference, and here it stands out as decisions need to be made quickly as the Soviets advance.

The left flank is lightly held by engineers and got hit hard. Seeing what was happening an engineer lieutenant called in a strike on the TRP, but without eyes on the target no way of knowing what happened. Within minutes that flank was overrun and destroyed.

The right flank's two M901 TOW vehicles would scoot forward, shoot, and back up quick. They survived but the infantry were hit hard. A sustained barrage on the Soviet advance slowed them considerably. A few more T-64A's moved up and were destroyed by the few remaining infantry and the M901. Most of the M113 survived, engaging the Soviet infantry and trucks. No more Soviet units advanced.

Now the right flank waited for the Soviets who overran the left flank. Nothing. Then a few infantry units arrived and exchanged fire. Time ran out...tactical US victory Wow, what a match. It turns out the Soviet units that destroyed my left were pulverized by the barrage and dug in engineers and infantry. Their victory resulted in most of their units being shattered. Only a few remaining were shaken and they moved on the right flank ineffectively. The looey who called in the barrage had 19 infantry kills alone.

Thanks for the fun game and scenario in particular, maybe at times too real...but better here than in real life.

bumpindark82.thumb.png.087fd9e557b2b7ce762949774f9e51bb.png

22 hours ago, strac_sap said:

This is a great game overall. Likely my favorite of the bunch. This scenario really stands out for its harshness and shows the consequences of the fog of war. I play real time as that is just my preference, and here it stands out as decisions need to be made quickly as the Soviets advance.

The left flank is lightly held by engineers and got hit hard. Seeing what was happening an engineer lieutenant called in a strike on the TRP, but without eyes on the target no way of knowing what happened. Within minutes that flank was overrun and destroyed.

The right flank's two M901 TOW vehicles would scoot forward, shoot, and back up quick. They survived but the infantry were hit hard. A sustained barrage on the Soviet advance slowed them considerably. A few more T-64A's moved up and were destroyed by the few remaining infantry and the M901. Most of the M113 survived, engaging the Soviet infantry and trucks. No more Soviet units advanced.

Now the right flank waited for the Soviets who overran the left flank. Nothing. Then a few infantry units arrived and exchanged fire. Time ran out...tactical US victory Wow, what a match. It turns out the Soviet units that destroyed my left were pulverized by the barrage and dug in engineers and infantry. Their victory resulted in most of their units being shattered. Only a few remaining were shaken and they moved on the right flank ineffectively. The looey who called in the barrage had 19 infantry kills alone.

Thanks for the fun game and scenario in particular, maybe at times too real...but better here than in real life.

bumpindark82.thumb.png.087fd9e557b2b7ce762949774f9e51bb.png

You are very welcome.  Some of these smaller scenarios were among my favourite to design and build.  They may lack the massive scope but they still capture the tactical dilemmas and dramas we all look for in a good game.