Bring your own OpenGL if the graphic card vendor's doesn't work right

This is what flight sim X-Plane does in a situation similar to CM: non-working OpenGL drivers, but working Vulcan API. Like with ATIAMD cards and newest drivers for CMx2.

Bring your own OpenGL to Vulcan mapper. Where "your own" means the free one from Mesa.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/X-Plane-Zink-Shipping

[quote]

As written about last year, the Laminar Research developers responsible for the incredible X-Plane flight simulator software have been working to make use of Mesa's Zink for leveraging OpenGL atop Vulkan to thereby avoid vendor OpenGL drivers that can vary in quality across platforms. With X-Plane 12.04b3, that goal is finally realized.
[/quote]

@Redwolf Have you gotten this to work?

I actually spent a couple weeks of my life last year, around March 2022 trying to get Zink to run CM.

The documentation was pretty rough, but I was able to compile my own Zink DLLs and get them to work for another OpenGL game.

CM would start, but would fail to load into any actual mission.  At this point, when I knew I had a working Zink DLL but it failed to to load CM, I gave up because I figured there was something about the way the game called OpenGL that Zink didn't handle.  From reading the Zink support groups it seemed that the developers were essentially having to optimize the driver for each and every game individually, and CM would require the Battlefront team to contribute code to the Zink project to make it work.

Would love to know if they've improved it in the last year and it's working.  I think it is a very promising project to improve CM performance.

@Redwolf https://developer.x-plane.com/2023/02/addressing-plugin-flickering/

Reading the source article from x-plane explains that their core game has been rewritten in Vulkan.  They're using Zink translation just for the modding/plugin community.

Obviously the best thing for Battlefront to do would be rewrite the engine in Vulkan, but that seems like a non-starter for Steve & co.  Maybe they can implement Zink, but it seems unlikely to me that will work without Battlefront developer support, or someone incredibly technical who is able to reverse engineer the OpenGL calls the game is making and create a custom Zink wrapper.

• 8 months later...