They Own The Night - V easy as USA

JulianJ

Hi all,

I'm back. I've been playing other games (sooo sorry! :-)), plus building a flight sim rig, so have not been CMing.

I'm now travelling, so only have CMCW on my laptop and decided to give They Own The Night a spin.

It was very easy: the russians have nowhere near enough forces to even make the yanks break a sweat, so it felt unsatisfactory. I enjoyed it somewhat but it was not the best fun.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:24 AM, JulianJ said:

Hi all,

I'm back. I've been playing other games (sooo sorry! :-)), plus building a flight sim rig, so have not been CMing.

I'm now travelling, so only have CMCW on my laptop and decided to give They Own The Night a spin.

It was very easy: the russians have nowhere near enough forces to even make the yanks break a sweat, so it felt unsatisfactory. I enjoyed it somewhat but it was not the best fun.

They Own the Night is a second battle from the US Campaign on the US defeat track.  It was designed to be easier as to get to this fight in the campaign the player has lost the first battle and if they lose TOTN, they garner a Total Defeat in the campaign.  If you are a highly experienced CM player you kind of picked the wrong scenario.  Unless you are playing the campaign, at which point you just dodged the bullet.

If you want some challenges as the US player on the campaign scenarios try, A Hill to Die On, Rte 66 or Bad and Worse.  And if you are really experienced and really want to test that, play the Soviet Campaign (March or Die) and/or Valley of Ashes.

Edited by The_Capt

• 1 month later...

Spoilers

This isn't hard, but it is sensitive to your initial move orders or a few things are likely to get blasted by the red team.  The M113 on the right, the engineers on the right, and some of the poor fellows in the town in the middle.  I found abandoning the right side (M113 backwards over the hill, engineers into the little wooded patch with a short circular arc) and hiding farther left inside the town works well, because you can then dismantle the baddies as they pop their heads over the reverse slope.

The infantry attack on the left is a bit easier because their options are more limited.  They have a depression just past the woods they can sneak through but if you see that as an early possibility, you can find quite a few positions to stop that short.  Depending on your commitment to C2 (house rules, of which I have none), you're likely to have M113s that can back you up effectively.

Anyway, once they park their vehicles, they're toast.  And the mortars in the back are in big trouble once something that shoots .50 can find them (or has LOS for counter-arty).

Interestingly, I tend to get a lot of friendly fire attempts in this.  Troops plinking at APC gunners until they realize what they're doing.