Return to CMAK

It's been over 5 years and a couple of computer rebuilds since I played CM games.  Just reinstalled and went through the pain of making them work in a Win10 environment.  Thanks to this forum I found the major fix was to right click on app, go to Properties then Compatibility and used Run by Admin, Set mode to Windows 7 and Override high DPI scaling.

I have two monitors, one a 4k and one a HD.  When I start the game the first time (deleted pref file) I don't have many options for resolution on HD monitor, mainly 1280 x 1024 at various refresh rates: 120, 119, 100, 75 and 60Hz.  If I skip 60Hz, game freezes.  I use 1280x1024 at 120Hz and the game runs.

Now that it's running my gripe is with Panning.  It does so in a clunky way, not smooth at all.  It's playable but a bit annoying.  I don't remember if this is standard fair or something to do with newer systems running in compatibility mode??  Maybe there is a fix for this too??  Thanks for any advice!

My system:

i7-12700K  3.61 GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F MB
CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti
Nvidia 528.24 Driver  1/24/2023
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB NVMe M.2
AOC C32G1 32" Curved Frameless Gaming Monitor, FHD 1920x1080

I am not currently accelerating any components

I know my Video Card is old but it still works pretty great!  lol

6 hours ago, Wartime said:

It's been over 5 years and a couple of computer rebuilds since I played CM games.  Just reinstalled and went through the pain of making them work in a Win10 environment.  Thanks to this forum I found the major fix was to right click on app, go to Properties then Compatibility and used Run by Admin, Set mode to Windows 7 and Override high DPI scaling.

I have two monitors, one a 4k and one a HD.  When I start the game the first time (deleted pref file) I don't have many options for resolution on HD monitor, mainly 1280 x 1024 at various refresh rates: 120, 119, 100, 75 and 60Hz.  If I skip 60Hz, game freezes.  I use 1280x1024 at 120Hz and the game runs.

Now that it's running my gripe is with Panning.  It does so in a clunky way, not smooth at all.  It's playable but a bit annoying.  I don't remember if this is standard fair or something to do with newer systems running in compatibility mode??  Maybe there is a fix for this too??  Thanks for any advice!

My system:

i7-12700K  3.61 GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F MB
CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti
Nvidia 528.24 Driver  1/24/2023
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB NVMe M.2
AOC C32G1 32" Curved Frameless Gaming Monitor, FHD 1920x1080

I am not currently accelerating any components

I know my Video Card is old but it still works pretty great!  lol

Greetings, Wartime. I run CMx1 on Windows 10 with no difficulties, including extensive modding and Reshade. I had the same video card as yours until recently. Replaced it with the 3060ti, no problems. A much older i7 cpu and nobody. I use the GOG editions, which may be why I have an easy go of it in Win10. I do not use any special Compatibility settings, all boxes unchecked. On the DPI Settings option from the Compatibility window I have *not* checked “Program DPI. Down below in “High DPI scaling override”  “Application” is displayed. 

inthe Windows Display settings window, Ive clicked on “Graphics Settings” and have Hardware -accelerated GPU scheduling “On”. “Graphics Performance” is set to “Desktop app”

in Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings”  I needed to make a Program Settings entry for CMx1 sims, not let them use “Global Settings”. I set “Antialiasing FXAA” OFF  Also, “Texture filtering Negative LOD bias” is CLAMP. Not sure whether any other settings will be an issue for you or I “Anisotropic filtering” is highest, at 16x. “Antialiasing Mode” is ENHANCE APPLICATION SETTING.

In that GOG dxcfg.exe configuration app in the game root directory, I have:

Display mode Sme as Desktop

Aspect ratio correction Enabled (default)

Scaling Method - Screen fit (default) 

vertical synchronization- Set by app (default)

As you can see, I didn’t have to change much at all, except that Nvidia FXAA OFF was critical to get the Menu lettering to display properly. The GOG editions are dirt cheap, and periodically go on sale for even less - if that version might help. Best luck to you!

Thanks NEA!!  Tonight I just got CMBN up and running with the help of Redwolf and staff.  Runs great, very smooth panning.  It is CM2 so that's one good reason why.

I'll adjust the Windows Display and Nvidia settings as suggested for a trial.

For $6 I just might download the GOG version, play in Win10 as it allows, and see if the clunkiness is a CM1 issue or my newer system issue.  It would be nice not needing the CD's for license!

Thank you again!

49 minutes ago, Wartime said:

Thanks NEA!!  Tonight I just got CMBN up and running with the help of Redwolf and staff.  Runs great, very smooth panning.  It is CM2 so that's one good reason why.

I'll adjust the Windows Display and Nvidia settings as suggested for a trial.

For $6 I just might download the GOG version, play in Win10 as it allows, and see if the clunkiness is a CM1 issue or my newer system issue.  It would be nice not needing the CD's for license!

Thank you again!

No problem! Glad to hear you have the great CMBN squared away. I went ahead with all three GOG CMx1 versions some years ago, despite having original boxed releases with those fine paper manuals from years ago, as well as the later three game boxed collection release. Because the GOG versions just work. And cost next to nothing. I double checked panning  in CMBB earlier, just to make sure. Quite smooth indeed.