New Comer

Hey All,

I'm a long time strategy game lover (i.e. Civilization, Age of Empires, Rome: Total War), but I've never been a wargamer, tabletop or otherwise.

I picked up the Combat Mission Anthology and I'm looking forward to learning it, as I've always wanted to play an in-depth tactical game set in WWII.

So, if anyone has any points -- feel free to let me know. Thanks!

BoP

[ December 19, 2006, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: balanceofpower ]

Originally posted by balanceofpower:

Hey All,

. . . if anyone has any points -- feel free to let me know. Thanks!

BoP

BOP,

Try these sites:

CMHQ Tactical articles

Battlefront CMBO FAQ

Platoon Leader Tutorials (for CM)

Byte Battles scenarios

The first three are strategy article archives, the last links several small (hour-long) scenarios to practice with after you play the scenarios labelled "tutorial" in CMBO itself. That's what got me started about 6 months ago smile.gif

There's also a PDF CMBB guide that is quite applicable to CMBO.

PM me with questions if you've got them, but I'm not way past novice status myself (though I played ASL for decades before coming here due to lack of time and opponents).

doug

• 1 month later...

First off I would skip CMBO and move straight to CMAK and CMBB. I saw this because the significant advancement of the game system after CMBO. You can mod CMAK to play everything offered in CMBO to include all of the scenarios. CMAK and CMBB are to all intents equal, and the game engine has matured significantly from CMBO. Don't get me wrong, CMBO is a great game an one of the most significant cpu game ever developed, but CMAK and CMBB are evolutionary advancements to CMBO.

Some tips I have learned:

The AI makes dumb moves. Humans are usually more savvy. The 2 biggest AI flaws I see are: giving away the position of AT guns by firing on half tracks or infantry. And sending infanrty running into the open to take a victory flag.

Playing humans will make you better. But playing the AI is helpful for learning how the game works.

You will have to suffer casualties to win. This game is like chess in that you cannot put all your eggs in one basket to win. You can't rely on a "supertank" to turn the tables. But that being said, firepower usually wins the day.