Bren gun

Darkfrog_uk, I'll my answer is A. Yes, that's my final answer.

It is in the game, but not as a separate unit. It is inherent in most Brit squads.

In case you're curious, the name Bren stemms from the design's origins. It was based on a design by Brno (in Czechoslovakia), modified and produced by Enfield.

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

Because Humbrol make model kits, not history books.

The Bren was still in use up to a few years ago, converted for the NATO 7.62mm cartridge.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

"Because Humbrol make model kits, not history books."

LOL.

This reminds me of a freind of mine who played with an unpainted army at a local wargames club. Some purist came over and said

"You really should paint your minatures, after all how do you expect them to fight for you if you cant be bothered to paint them?"

Quick as a flash my freind replied.

"Becuase they are little bits of lead thats why."

smile.gif

_dumbo

Depends on the army really...

I took the .303 Bren course and passed my TOET (Tests Of Elementary Training) in my cav squadron about a year ago. Much slower rate of fire than the MAG, in competitions, the competitors have no problem with two-round bursts.

The problem was with cleaning it.. After firing, you had to boil out the barrel, let it sweat for a week, then go back to them and clean again! Ugh.

NTM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trooper:

The problem was with cleaning it.. After firing, you had to boil out the barrel, let it sweat for a week, then go back to them and clean again! Ugh.

NTM<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even in combat conditions?

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

Having fired a Bren I'll let you into a few secrets:-

1. It’s incredibly accurate - actually too much cause you need a little spray in a LMG;

2. It was actually used in the sniper role on some occasions as it is that accurate (have I mentioned it's accuracy biggrin.gif);

3. It has the same problem as the BAR in that as it is a mag fed LMG it has a slower 'true' rof than a belt fed LMG;

4. If loaded with 30 rounds (full mag capacity) it has a tendency to jam whereby if you load it with 28 rounds it works a charm - 30 rounds forces the spring to put too much pressure on the feed - consequently rounds got jammed before being fed into the firing chamber; and

5. Barrel changing is awkward and cumbersome – and if done incorrectly results in a nasty burn to the inner arm (as I saw first hand) – you cannot wrench the barrel from the Bren but it does appear to have a longer barrel life than most other LMG’s.

Of interest also is the Bren when firing from its integral bipod has a tendency to crawl forward - unlike most other LMG's on a bipod that tend to crawl back or pull to the right.

Have I mentioned how accurate it is biggrin.gif!

Craig

[This message has been edited by Aussie Smith (edited 09-13-2000).]

Also spent some time with the Bren (7.62 version), and got to like it a lot.

Usefully fills the gap between an 5.56 (burst fire or full auto option) or 7.62 (semi-auto) assault rifle and the heavier FN or M60 GPMGs.

[This message has been edited by Cuchulainn (edited 09-13-2000).]