IRL : Wehrmacht & SS -ARTILLERY working together ?

Aj,

this is one of my wonderings; but unfortunately I can't find a definitive answer in any of my scholar's.

◾Was the Wehrmacht artillery operating alongside the one from SS ?

More precisely, I know they were deployed on same fronts; and it happened that SS were on direct orders from Oberkommando (OKW). Still, they operated on different guns or mortars. -Even if SS division, understrength battalions were subordinated to any Wehrmacht command, they had for the most part their independence on field.

But what about artillery ? Did they divided the zone into area ? Was operating officier from the Wehrmacht able to call for fire from a 105mm from the SS ? If we assume such SS force was at disposition. In a situation like the Dniepr for example.

thanks; any books/universitarian sources about SS artillery welcome btw.

2 hours ago, STURM-FAKTION said:

Aj,

this is one of my wonderings; but unfortunately I can't find a definitive answer in any of my scholar's.

◾Was the Wehrmacht artillery operating alongside the one from SS ?

More precisely, I know they were deployed on same fronts; and it happened that SS were on direct orders from Oberkommando (OKW). Still, they operated on different guns or mortars. -Even if SS division, understrength battalions were subordinated to any Wehrmacht command, they had for the most part their independence on field.

But what about artillery ? Did they divided the zone into area ? Was operating officier from the Wehrmacht able to call for fire from a 105mm from the SS ? If we assume such SS force was at disposition. In a situation like the Dniepr for example.

thanks; any books/universitarian sources about SS artillery welcome btw.

Good overview of German artillery C&C https://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt07/artillery-command.html

9 minutes ago, STURM-FAKTION said:

Thanks for all links George !

Although very informative for many aspects I didn't even look for; plus, good for jumping from one article to another...

I didn't find my answer on lonesentry.

still thanks

The answer is there you just have to look between the lines.

It would depend what corps the division was attached to and what higher level arty support they'd receive. At divisional level be unlikely you'd have Heer art support a SS unit UNLESS the Heer arty unit was subordinated to the SS division. So its all bout chain of command and unit attachments. So yes it is possible for a Heer or SS arty unit to support a SS or Heer unit BUT ONLY if they were subordinated to that unit or it was subordinated to a higher unit e.g. SS Pz Div subordinated to a Heer corps.

IV SS Pz Corps had many staff officers from the Heer simply because when formed it lacked sufficiently experienced staff officers. So yeah lots of stuff with Heer and SSS unit working together would not be unusual.