CMBO on Mac OS X public beta. Anyone tried?

I have OSX Server and never had the will power to take my streamer off line to try it. OSX comes next week and once I am done with my paid beta testing (more work than you can imagine if you do it right) then I will move on to my free time beta testing and give it a whirr.

Steve Jackson

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 09-22-2000).]

There's no point in all this, since CM hasn't been Carbonised. It might run under the Classic environment (although apparently it doesn't), but this would be no different from running it on OS 9. I'm hoping Charles might find the time to do a Carbon/OpenGL version.

As for the OS X beta – I'm a long-time Mac fan, but I won't be touching it with a bargepole until it's finished. You can't actually do anything with it – it's just for developers, and people who want to play around with the new interface.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 09-22-2000).]

personally -i- hate to pay for version 1.0 smile.gif

ah, what david said. i'm bemused by the hoopla over mac os x public beta. it's BETA, fer cryin' out loud. i -work- at apple. i like some parts of it a -lot-. even i only use it when i'm working on mac os x

as for carbonizing CM - not yet. at the earliest not until mac os x is about to ship by default on new macs. any earlier doesn't make business sense. get on the mac carbon developer mailing list, you'll see what i mean

Sorry, I am on the list, and I understood the tester is to see how much work you have to do, not to see if it has been done! I asked because if the thing is way off or close may effect a carbon version. A lot of developers are going to feel real stupid when I post this -- they assumed it was just a tool to tell at a glance how much coding is left to get them home into Carbon!

Perhaps Apple should have included this in its notes on the Carbon testing module.

If I worked at Apple I would be doing everything in my power to get carbon work going, not talking people out of doing carbon work until next year. Seems like Apple policy is shooting itself in the foot here.

warning, off-topic, we're not even close to a CM topic below!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Sorry, I am on the list, and I understood the tester is to see how much work you have to do, not to see if it has been done! I asked because if the thing is way off or close may effect a carbon version.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

say you use carbon tester. a list of changed calls tells you precisely that, no more. it doesn't tell you 'hey, your framework (if any) will have to completely change', or what design may need to change for the event model, or...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If I worked at Apple I would be doing everything in my power to get carbon work going, not talking people out of doing carbon work until next year. Seems like Apple policy is shooting itself in the foot here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

smile.gif

be glad i'm a software guy, not a marketer. has carbon been changing its API? yup

will that continue? yup, for a short while anyway

is it entirely stable or is it beta sw? well, its development is driven by mac os x. you figure it out

depending on when CM supports mac os x, porting to cocoa may make more sense anyway

so which is better for apple:

- suggesting a developer should use code which is not quite complete and not quite stable. once again, it's BETA

- suggesting a developer should wait until that code is de facto stable, ie it's shipped by default on systems

Ok, I will admit that givena choice between Carbon and a full blown Cocoa mod I will go with Coccoa. Carbon is just a come along tool anyway to convince developer to port.

Now a secret: I think OSX is going to be big, and I hope Carbon apps get done quick and are buggy and nasty and cause customers to freak. Because that will move the developers to do adopt all the nifty memory stuff, and get them on the main page with regards to API. I also hope Microsoft is not successful in killing OpenGL. But if I had a choice between no app and Carbon, I guess I want Carbon apps the day I throw OSX on the 100 or so Macs that populate my world (yes -- I am a teacher and student, but while my Windows box is supported by an army of techs, the macs of our college are essentially self supported.) with the potential of Cocoa ASAP.

As for programmers, well our NT guys start programming in beta for NT and have all had meltdowns and committed suicide with 2000, but I do not really follow that.

(Advisory note: While I know VB and (gasp) Fortran from school, I am not a programmer. My coding days ended when Hypercard went belly up as a supported application, and I refuse to keep up with Lingo. Jscript is all I want to mess with anymore).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Ok, I will admit that givena choice between Carbon and a full blown Cocoa mod I will go with Coccoa. Carbon is just a come along tool anyway to convince developer to port.

Now a secret: I think OSX is going to be big, and I hope Carbon apps get done quick and are buggy and nasty and cause customers to freak. Because that will move the developers to do adopt all the nifty memory stuff, and get them on the main page with regards to API. I also hope Microsoft is not successful in killing OpenGL. But if I had a choice between no app and Carbon, I guess I want Carbon apps the day I throw OSX on the 100 or so Macs that populate my world (yes -- I am a teacher and student, but while my Windows box is supported by an army of techs, the macs of our college are essentially self supported.) with the potential of Cocoa ASAP. mess with anymore).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi

I am a Mac Tech in a community college and we have a very small team of a few good mac techs to take care of about 250 mac desktop units in 7 graphics labs and about 100 mac laptops. Our support team is miniscule in relation to the (Big Brother ) Information Technology dept, army of network anaysts, server admins and assorted PC tech geeks that handle all the NON Mac cpu's in the school.

Any way I am very keen to learn more about Mac OS X (I have been a MAC OS X server admin here for about a 13 months now) and I can't wait for the non beta real realse of the final OS X client. Is this still on for the around Christmas or perhaps introduced at Mac world in Jan?

Thanks for all the informative dicsussion. I hope we can all keep this thread active and informative.

-tom w

I find it interesting Tom that you have the same thing going on as we do. Our Mac side of our college has a tech for more than a hundred machines plus video equipment. University departments though that dump Mac and get PC though suddenly get huge IT budget increases, and a small army of dedicated techs. Something like 30 machines per tech in Engineering.

I maintain four servers and picth in with some Mac support, as do a couple of other faculty and doc students. Seems to be the same all around.

BTW- I could not convince the technology committee to put Combat Mission on our new G4s. frown.gif For some reason, they don't think it supports our mission to teach communication.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Any way I am very keen to learn more about Mac OS X (I have been a MAC OS X server admin here for about a 13 months now) and I can't wait for the non beta real realse of the final OS X client. Is this still on for the around Christmas or perhaps introduced at Mac world in Jan?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

around then is still the plan, yes

in the peecee guys' defense, windows has to work with much more heterogeneous systems than mac systems usually do. when you start slapping pci cards/raid systems/etc into macs, they aren't necessarily easy admin either

as for windows 2k - it had quite a facelift vs windows nt. that facelift didn't help stability. 'nuf said

fwiw, i may work at apple but i do of course also write to linux and windows. to keep up with tech i have to go where it's best implemented

[This message has been edited by elementalwarre (edited 09-22-2000).]