MASTERTOE Russian Motorized Rifle Brigade

Hello,

Easily the most painstaking work to date, I have totally designed a typical Russian MRB in the MTLB flavor. If you want to switch it up you could swap the main battalions, but everything else included in this TOE should be particular to the MTLB brigade.

I have placed what feels like thousands of vehicles. Many are signals vehicles, logistics trucks, kitchen trucks, tanker trucks ETC. The Toe is complete. I had to substitute for vehicles nonstop for this project. So the vehicles are named what they should be, if they are different. Some of the small truck differences were omitted. I used the MTLB Artillery Observation vehicle to imitate certain command vehicles, and heavy engineering vehicles. I used the SA-12 MTLB launcher in place of various radars that the Russians employ. So it takes some imagination.

Please add more diverse vehicles Battlefront! A tanker truck model would go a long way. Or trailers. Or any enclosed version of the URALs. :)

My biggest source and inspiration are the PHENOMENAL Shipbucket.com TOE drawings. They had legit everything diagrammed and labelled out for me. Some things I had to translate from Cyrillic, so now I know bits of that. :o

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tfql4td043k80u/MASTERTOE Russian MRB.btt?dl=0

Preview Images:

2.png

1.png

file.png

Sources:

http://shipbucket.com/vehicles?category=real&type=orgchart&country=9&page=1

The Russian Way Of War

The Military Balance 2021

And some double checking on Wikipedia

Edited by Artkin

I have quickly created a crude demonstrator scenario based off the Russian BTG on the move.

MRBTest2.png

Ukrainian Situation:

March 3rd, just South of Ivankiv.

Yesterday the Orcs completely captured Ivankiv. Today they penetrated our lines deeply in the Southern direction and have left us cut off from the rest of our Battalion. We haven't created any serious defensive positions along this axis since nobody expected an attack from Pripyat.

Orders are to hold position and cause significant damage to our enemy. Prevent them from entering Alsfeld (Town South of river ingame). Their strongest forces have already passed, and have made contact with our rear.

Russian Situation:

Today our Brigade has made huge advances in the direction of Kiev. Territorial Defense completely collapsed under the might of the God of War!

You are in charge of a Battalion tactical group on the march. Ahead of you is 2nd company, who just reported in on Battalion net 5 minutes ago claiming that they made significant contact in Alsfeld.

Your task is to keep up with the rest of the BTG. Move all of our supplies and logistics forward as soon as possible and help the fight at Alsfeld. The pace of the march into Kiev relies on you, Commander. You have one hour.

Black box indicates where scenario takes place:

MRBTest.png

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fv64y9aj8e14a7/Russian MRB Demonstration Scenario.btt?dl=0

notes: This scenario gives a feel for how the Russians might have felt early on in the war: Rushing equipment forward like a traditional Soviet assault to outpace the redeploying Ukrainian army. 1 small AI plan for each side, Pbem compatible (set reinforcement to 8 for blufor main body. Also set to muddy conditions). 100mm guns represent 122mm grad rocket launchers. Also the BTG Support company + Artillery Bn were chopped down a bit.

Edited by Artkin

Demonstrator Scenario 2:

Focuses on how the Bilohorivka river crossing attempt/incident #1 could have occurred.

bilohorivka.png

Russian Situation:

04:50

The Brigade commander has chosen our crossing point over the Siverskyi-Donets river. We are rushing direction from our BTG's column right over the river. Be as fast as possible. Also, our Reconnaissance Patrol is about 15 minutes late.

Orders:

Reconnaissance Patrol:  Secure river crossing location, ford before pontoons arrive if able.

Engineer Recon Platoon: Establish platoon on the river bank when safe. Send divers to search ford (water only) for underwater mines.

Engineer Platoon:            Secure river crossing location, search for mines.

Bridging Platoon:             Establish shore traffic vehicle and all bridging assistants on the river bank. Reverse your PP-91 pontoon trucks (Starting and ending with the "PP-91 Bridge Ramp") into the ford. Create a straight line with the trucks spanning across the river and covering every tile of water. 9 Pontoons are required to cross with ramps included. If the ramps are destroyed then bridge can be created with regular pontoons on edges but will be limited to 1 vehicle crossing ford at a time. Next drive the Tug Boat Transport Trucks with the BMK-255-1 tug boats to the river. Before you are able to use the pontoon you need to have 3 tugboats on both sides of the pontoon to prevent it from shifting. Picture is provided. After this your vehicles may freely ford the river SINGLE FILE (Pretend they are using the pontoon bridge that you just made).

Advance Party:                Cross river as quickly as possible after pontoon bridge is established. Antitank + Mortar Plt cover crossing

Radar Recon Platoon:     These are here just for atmosphere.

Artillery:                           Set 15 minute delayed fire missions for all guns on turn 0, somewhere beyond the crossing point to make sure nothing unexpected approaches us. Have them set to the max size of 700m. This is doctrinal even for 2022.

Ukrainian Situation:

04:50

Russians have been probing all over the Siverskyi-Donets river for the past month. My reconnaissance company has orders to hold here while major parts of the brigade reinforce the North Western line. About ten minutes ago first platoon reported hearing tracks approaching from the East. They are on orders to patrol the woods and see what the situation is.

Orders:

Defend your position to the death, keep essential troops alive. We cannot let them cross. Multiple assets will be available in time for the Russians.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ge79li7g150r39s/Russian MRB Demonstration Scenario 2.btt?dl=0

MRBTest2.png

CM-Black-Sea-2022-06-07-21-00-46.png

Notes: No AI plan, Blue shouldn't interfere with crossing. Playable in H2H or Hotseat alone. If not - demonstrator scenario per name. Ford completion in real life is supposed to be under an hour. Bridge can hold 60 tonnes at 270m length. At 130m length pontoon bridge can support 120 tonnes.

Edited by Artkin

6 hours ago, Manzcaser said:

All that looks great, thank you and congratulations on your work 👍 👏 👏 

Thank you! Someone actually released a Siverskyi map yesterday so I need to convert my scenario over to that

Edited by Artkin

Converted to the new map by @MrTimn, left blue side untouched except support assets which will be reinforcement. Just for demonstrative purposes of the engineer bridging company. This scenario (The disaster IRL) is perfect for showing how these brigade level engineering vehicles are used in combat.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2nkv8meoghyzrux/Russian MRB Demonstration Scenario 2 v2.btt?dl=0

crossing.png

(Bridge competed successfully, BMK-255-1 Tug boat deployed from truck, all while under the guidance of the Shore Trafficability team)

Bridging-comp.png

(Engineer TOE)

Edited by Artkin

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, Artkin said:

I have quickly created a crude demonstrator scenario based off the Russian BTG on the move.

MRBTest2.png

Ukrainian Situation:

March 3rd, just South of Ivankiv.

Yesterday the Orcs completely captured Ivankiv. Today they penetrated our lines deeply in the Southern direction and have left us cut off from the rest of our Battalion. We haven't created any serious defensive positions along this axis since nobody expected an attack from Pripyat.

Orders are to hold position and cause significant damage to our enemy. Prevent them from entering Alsfeld (Town South of river ingame). Their strongest forces have already passed, and have made contact with our rear.

Russian Situation:

Today our Brigade has made huge advances in the direction of Kiev. Territorial Defense completely collapsed under the might of the God of War!

You are in charge of a Battalion tactical group on the march. Ahead of you is 2nd company, who just reported in on Battalion net 5 minutes ago claiming that they made significant contact in Alsfeld.

Your task is to keep up with the rest of the BTG. Move all of our supplies and logistics forward as soon as possible and help the fight at Alsfeld. The pace of the march into Kiev relies on you, Commander. You have one hour.

Black box indicates where scenario takes place:

MRBTest.png

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fv64y9aj8e14a7/Russian MRB Demonstration Scenario.btt?dl=0

notes: This scenario gives a feel for how the Russians might have felt early on in the war: Rushing equipment forward like a traditional Soviet assault to outpace the redeploying Ukrainian army. 1 small AI plan for each side, Pbem compatible (set reinforcement to 8 for blufor main body. Also set to muddy conditions). 100mm guns represent 122mm grad rocket launchers. Also the BTG Support company + Artillery Bn were chopped down a bit.

Great stuff, thank you for sharing!

Interesting that the battalion commander shows up so early. Seems a little risky but probably good for him to be able to get a feel for the situation early and have time to give instructions to follow on units.

6 minutes ago, Simcoe said:

Great stuff, thank you for sharing!

Interesting that the battalion commander shows up so early. Seems a little risky but probably good for him to be able to get a feel for the situation early and have time to give instructions to follow on units.

You're welcome! I'm currently reading Tigers In The Mud. Although German and from a different time period, Carius liked to drive his tiger at the head of his tiger platoon. But doctrine was 2nd vehicle. I think you are right about the situational awareness required by the HQ.