Mortar Targeting

Just downloaded the demo to determine if I should order the game. While playing I tried to target a mortar to a target out of "line of sight" (LOS). It did not allow this. In reality a mortar can be targeted beyond LOS with a forward spotter. Does the full game allow mortar rounds to be dropped as long as the area is within range or is LOS required? Is artillary also limited by their own LOS?

Hey Slapshot:

Here's my understanding of mortar targeting in the current version of CM (and not necessarily the demo):

On board mortars can use direct fire against targets in LOS.

Mortars on the defenders side in an attack or assault scenario that begin the game on the map and do not move may target any location on the map regardless of LOS. This reflects a defender sighting in the areas of fire prior to the attack.

Mortars in command radius of a HQ unit can fire at areas within that HQ's LOS. This is "the hide behind the hill with the HQ on top of the hill (or beyond the woods or behind the building)" mode that we all love.

With regard to artillery, fire is quicker and more accurate if within an artillery spotter's LOS. Out of LOS it can take longer to arrive and cover a wider area, he said redundantly.

Anybody have anything to add?

Hope you like the game.

[This message has been edited by L4Pilot (edited 11-29-2000).]

You must use HQ units (platoon,company,battalion)as observers for mortars. Just get the mortar into the command range and the mortar can fire anywhere the HQ unit can see. Remember the minimum range of mortars. There are also artillery spotter teams for off-map artillery.

Guest Madmatt

L4Pilot made one mistake.

"Mortars on the defenders side in an attack or assault scenario that begin the game on the map and do not move may target any location on the map regardless of LOS. This reflects a defender sighting in the areas of fire prior to the attack."

This is incorrect. That only applies when targeting a Target Reference Point, which must either be purchased or included in players force selection.

Madmatt

POSSIBLE BUG?

Concerning the HQ spotter for out of LOS targeting, I have seen the occasional suspension of the fire mission.

Notice when you plot smoke from on board weapons that if the system hits the exact spot targeted, the smoking stops.

I wonder if the two symptoms are related.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilhammer:

POSSIBLE BUG?

Concerning the HQ spotter for out of LOS targeting, I have seen the occasional suspension of the fire mission.

Notice when you plot smoke from on board weapons that if the system hits the exact spot targeted, the smoking stops.

I wonder if the two symptoms are related.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What happens is the smoke hits before the exact spot targeted by the LOS, when the smoke billows it then blocks the exact point that the unit had LOS sight to, therefore the fire mission was canceled. An annoyance, but not a huge deal

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilhammer:

Notice when you plot smoke from on board weapons that if the system hits the exact spot targeted, the smoking stops.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure BTS said this is intentional: you order the ordnance to fire smoke at a particular spot on the map. When they hit that spot, the mission is accomplished and they stop firing.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

When mortar fire missions suddenly stop it may be because the mortar has passed into the command radius of an hq unit that cannot see the target. this will happen if another hq gets closer to the tube than the original hq spotter. Very frustrating!

PS to Reverendo: don't know about CM but in WWII mortars account for a large proportion of casualties

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reverendo:

A mortar round landing right on its target?

I'm not buying it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You'd better! smile.gif

My father was squad leader for a 12cm mortar squad, and he's told me about a live fire show they did for some high rank officers.

The target was a small shed about 2 miles from the battery. The FO called in the coordinates and asked for a spotting round. The first spotting round hit the roof of the shed! eek.gif

No need for additional corrections there... cool.gif

Also, the early production German 12cm mortars were known to have the flaw that they kept hitting the same spot with all rounds, having much more precision than desired. Go figure... tongue.gif

Cheers

Olle