Panzerhandminen

"Panzerhandminen). Some German soldiers had Panzerhandmines, for close quarter AFV killing (these anti-tank magnetic mines killed nearly as many AFV's as

Panzerfausts)."

Came across this quote well doing some ww2 surfing smile.gif

I was just woundering if these magnetic mines are modeled in cm?

You mean Hafthohlladungen (lit. sticky hollow charges). I don't know if they are in CM, but I would hazard a guess that they wouldn't be simply because by 1944 the Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck offered better ways of killing tanks.

Actually, the Heftholadung (sp?) didn't even get introduced until 44 as I recall. It became more important later in the war because Germany was suffering a severe propellant shortage towards the end and they were looking very hard for ways to replace the Panzershrek. The ATMM, Panzerfaust, and Panzershrek were all used side by side ... along with the anti tank rifle grenade. Mind you I am just saying this off the top of my head (I am at work)

Hafthohlladung is the correct spelling. Haft means sticking (in this case magnetic) hohl means hollow and ladung is charge.

If you use heft then your talking about some sort of exploding notebook. smile.gif

These were used well before 1944 and the German developed zimmerit as a countermeasure, though the allies never used these kinds of devices.

http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust9.htm#hhl

The Hafthohlladung was used more on the Eastern Front, as I was told by a few people on this board quite some time ago when I mentioned it before. I think they started showing up there in mid '42. I would assume that other, marginally safer methods (Panzerfaust, Panzerschreck)rendered them relatively obsolete by the time of the Normandy invasion. Seems there was a problem supplying the magnets as well, too (I read that someplace, don't ask me where- was a millenia ago...)

Guest Big Time Software

What Reddog is talking about is a cone shaped hollow charged anti-tank mine. There were three IIRC magnets. The use was to place it on the side of a tank, pull a pin, and then run like Hell. It was because of this weapon that the Germans coated their tanks with a thin concrete paste (Zimmermit) to prevent the enemy from using their own version of the mine. Ironically, nobody else made such weapons smile.gif

This is not simulated in CM for good reasons -> they weren't in service any longer by this point due to an acute shortage of magnets and the introduction of the PF.

Steve

Guest Scott Clinton

FWIW British Commandos used magnetic mines also, just not to a great extent.

I don't recall where, but I do remember that the US Rangers 'borrowed' some from the British also (they were orginally trained by the British Commandos).

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.