Game A.I. Question and CM 2 Suggestion

Hi there,

a few weeks ago I downloaded the warez version of CM , not exaxtly knowing what to expect 'cause I only read a recommendation somewhere. I only played two or three scenarios so far but what a revelation this game is!!! I already ordered it just to get my hands on that manual. Being a German I'm especially impressed that the level of authenticity went as far as it did with the German vocals. Now I'd just be interested in the veteran CM players opinions regarding the game AI. I played the scenario Grosshau Ridge for instance where I playing the German side would pull all my troops back to the cover of the trees and just wait for the U.S. troops to appear on the ridge. There they would seek cover at the scattered trees. All I would have to do is letting the spotters, the Panzer IV and the mortars take aim. When the U.S. troops were beaten up and hastily retreating I just would get out of the cover and chase them, scoring a total victory. When I played the same scenario on the U.S. side I would first clear out the scattered trees on the ridge with my mortars then with my troops not stopping to seek cover quickly passing past the ridge advancing towards the right objective flag, taking it and thus scoring a tactical victory. Now wouldn't it be a smarter move of the AI to act in the same way and advance out of positions when they come under heavy enemy arty and mortar fire even when being outnumbered. "Attack is the best Defense" after all. Is this a weakness of the game AI? Same thing with the tutorial mission. My Shermans would advance over the right side up to the crossroads accompanied by the mortar spotter but stay behind cover. Then Germans would appear in the trees behind the objective flag where they would be beaten up terribly by my 81mm mortars and my Sherman's main guns. The Panzer IV's noticing the Shermans would come out of the tree line towards the Shermans, but my tanks having the advantage of being partially covered or obstructed by trees kill both of them. The Germans having lost their tanks and being heavily beaten up now would start to retreat. That's when I sent both tanks and rifle squads to chase them. In the end the AI surrendered with 84 casualties, 20 killed, 7 captured, only one ok and only 9 casualties, 2 killed on my side (Wow, what a feeling!!!). Now again wouldn't it have been more smarter of the AI to leave the positions at the objective flag under such heavy fire and not send the tanks out into open field where they could easily be killed. Or is this just realistic behaviour? Hope someone can shed a light on this for me. If this already has been discussed just point me to the thread. Thank you!

Finally a suggestion for CM 2. A short time ago I finished the WWII novel "The Triumph and the Glory", a great read btw. One of the characters in the book is a russian grunt transfered under false accusations to a pobationary infantery unit. Before Russian attacks they would be sent unarmed towards the German lines to clear mine fields. If they were wounded by mines they would be shot on the spot by their officers after the Russian assault. Their only chance of survival was not to step on mines and against all odds not to be shot by Germans after a few seconds advancing towards the German lines. This might be modelled in CM 2 with no penalty for these casualties because their main purpose was to be sacrificed.

Thanks a lot!

Guest MantaRay

W words used in his post.

weeks what what went where would would would When would When would with wouldn't way when when weakness would would where would would would when Wow, what wouldn't where WWII would were wounded with was

35 + 1

smile.gif

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Amiticia,

Welcome to the forum.

In response to your question re/ the AI, I think you should not expect any (non scripted) AI to play as well as a human. Sometimes the AI in CM kicks ass, but real fun starts with PBEM and TCPIP play.

If you haven't bought the game (been there, done that smile.gif) please do so. It is worth supporting the very few good people that work for BTS (I'm not one of them).

Regards

------------------

...or somefink.

[This message has been edited by coralsaw (edited 12-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by saru3000:

That wasn't the response I was expecting. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably just take it out on us losers on his chat server! wink.gif

Mace

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 12-20-2000).]