I don't know why, but...

Guest MantaRay

Guest MantaRay

For some reason I haven't got into this game like I thought I would. Not that it is a bad game, but it can be so brain draining, and out and out hard. I can only play for an hour or so until I have to take a break. And I am almost playing at a 7 year old level as I have gotten my butt kicked too many times. It is totally strange. Anyone else have my problem?

But, CM has also been the most expensive game I have ever owned too, as I just went to the book store and bought 4 WWII books.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Actually, I am having the opposite effects. I played the beta demo's game once from each side and it was all right but that all I played. I could never really get myself immersed.

Now with the released version with blind PBEM games, I can't get enough!!!!! I have only played one game against the computer cause I want to save the scenarios for blind PBEM games.

Manta I agree somewhat. I find that sitting down and playing a one player scenario to completion is brain draining. I much prefer PBEM where I can devote as much time to a turn as needed and then take a break. I still love the game but marathon sessions are not for me. I am not sure that I will even use the TCP/IP patch very much. This is still the best game I have ever owned and will remain so until CM2, etc.

MantaRay:

I think the game is very challenging- as it should be. I don't know what size scenarios you have been playing- why don't you try making smaller ones and playing with them for awhile- just to sort of keep the workload down a bit. In the demos, I liked to toss everything out of the way into a secluded corner of the map, except for maybe one platoon and a tank, and just fiddled with them, trying different tactics and seeing how things worked...Also, if the strategy side is getting you down, I really recommend Moon's site, especially the Tactics section- he has some excellent examples on how to use real world tactics in CM- and it is growing by the day...I am envious of you- I still don't have the damn game in my hands yet, wish I COULD be playing it...

Guest MantaRay

Well actually, real world tactics are not a problem for me, it is just this game that is making me crazy. smile.gif I do think that I can apply the real world tactics better in a real world enviornment though. smile.gif

And go to small scenarios....never. I enjoy the Operations much more than the single scenarios. And I am just venting a "Minor Victory" I had today. Argh, those Shermans are allergic to 88's. biggrin.gif

Well, please disreguard that previous post as I am going to go kill some Brits in Villers Bocage.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Manta - I think I might have a good tip for you. It's surprisingly simple: PLAY SLOWER.

What I mean is: when you want to move your units from A to B in one turn - well, move them halfway first. When you want to assault an enemy position on turn X - well, fire at them one more turn and assault on turn Y. You want to move your tank for a flank shot - give it one more turn, ordering it to move a shorter distance in the first turn.

In general, give your self more time to do what you're doing now. It might make the difference. It did for me in the beginning.

Guest Michael emrys

I think you may be on to something there, Moon. I know that in myself I have to fight a tendency to have to be Mr. Superbrain and come up with The Perfect Plan from the first move. The game plays better, is more fun, and interestingly enough follows reality better if instead you get into a kind of a dance with it. You make a move. The other side responds. You respond to its response, and so forth, and pretty soon you have the tempo of operations. Once you know what that is, you can begin to control it. Very Zen-like in a way.

One last thought: Although speed can be a great force multiplier, haste is suicide.

Michael

There definitely is a rythm to playing the game. When I first got it I was almost overwhelmed with the quantity of scenarios and the size of the maps; I remembered all the effort that went into playing the demo over and over and was hesitant to start in on the full version. Taking it slow in both a macro sense (no rush at all to play all scenarios) and a micro sense (take your time within the scenario) has to happen. You could burn out on this game. Remember how Myst was such a revolutionary game ? This seems very similar. See my other thread on sleep deprivation !

The problem I am having is figuring out what I want to do next. Do I play another quick battle? Do I continue tweaking the historical battle I've created (I've been working on it for two days and still haven't gotten it right)? Do I dig into the canned scenarios and/or operations (I've resisted this in case I want to use these for PBEMs)? Brain boggled by the possibilities...

"So many social engagements, so little time."--Dale Snokes.

Manta - Try some Pbem man smile.gif I can t get enough of this game - god I wish I wouldve take the summer off school - Its interefering with my damn game time biggrin.gif

Im hating life I got to study for an exam today and all I can think about is CM eek.gif

I guess after 7 straight semesters My brain is welcoming something other than schoolwork to think on.

I must say Pbem is being very fulfilling in points style games. Trying to outwit your opponent on the buy without seing the map is a thrill initself. I am currently involved in a game with Echo - it is an incredible match (QP scenario- points) He commented around turn ten on how it was like a chessmatch. He had a BIG FAT JUMBO staring down at me in an overwatch position over the flags in a meeeting engagement, I had a Jagdpanther that I was a little leary with about going in a head to head with that beast. So we moved infantry and countermoved infantry, crested tanks taking popshots and having one hell of a fine match smile.gif

ALL HELL JUST BROKE LOOSE biggrin.gif

now it has really gotten fun

If you are still up for a match I will be happy to play you soon as I wind donw a few smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

[This message has been edited by SS_PanzerLeader (edited 06-28-2000).]