need some help with CM

well i have been playing the demo and im getting the hang of it but there are some questions.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> does off-board artillery accuracy depend on how far the target is from the "friendly" edge of the map?

<LI> for machinegun and inf. units the ammo quantity is shown around 40-50 at the start of the battle, what is this number- clips?some in-game units? what do they represent?

<LI> more on small arms ammmo- say inf. squad has 2BARS, 1SMG and 9 Garands, they shoot at the target say 400m away. does the firepower they can bring on the target include their SMG -which is out of range.

<LI> more on example above- if they expend all of their "40 units" of ammo, and then they close in within SMG range, will they shoot SMG(it didnt expend any ammo before)?

<LI> is it possible to see what secondary weapons MG or bazooka team has?

<LI>is it possible to see how much MG ammo the tank has left?

<LI>i think i figured out how command delay works but sometimes my tanks would have a delay too- readme says that command delay does not apply to armor, whats up? does it have anything to do with buttoned/unbuttoned status?how to minimize this delay?

<LI> if my team's LOS to target is obstructed, can i order it to move around obstacle, and THEN shoot at target- all within 1 turn, if yes, how exactly do i do that?

<LI> can i order a team to move while shooting at the SPECIFIC target, if yes, how exactly do i do that?

<LI> what is the range at which machine gun , say .50 cal. can effectively inflict casualties- i finished "valley of trouble" yesterday and at the end of battle neither mine no computer's machinegun teams scored any kills.

<LI> what kind of cover "light" and "heavy" buildings provide from MG, Tank, and mortar fire?

<LI> what kind of damage model the engine uses for vehicles -so far i only seen em "eliminated" or "abandoned". can tank take some damage and keep operating at decreased efficiency(main gun or MG knocked out, turret rotation speed decreased, tank speed decreased etc etc etc).

<LI>i am not satisfied with readme file - it seems only to scratch the surface of what seems to bea very complex system. what kind of documentation the full version has?

this got kinda big, sorry if those questions have been asked and answered before.

i am not satisfied with readme file - it seems only to scratch the surface of what seems to bea very complex system. what kind of documentation the full version has?

Well excuuuuuuuuse BTS for not giving you a full manual with the demo. What a bunch (actually a couple) of jerks.

There are over 61,000 messages posted here. Try using the search function. All the questions are here.

The full game has a 171 page manual. Hopefully it will be up to your expectations. We can only hope.

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 06-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 06-19-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

Acido101, welcome to the board.

I try and have a stab at answering your questions, please note I am just a sycophantic fan who lives in England and therefore still has some time to answer your questions:

1. no

2. in-game units, some abstraction I presume

3. If you click on a unit and press return, you see a detailed fire-power chart by distance, that tells you which weapons contribute at what range.

3. They never run out of ammo, just low. Once low, they will only fire when under direct threat, I believe.

4. Again, click on an HMG team and press return. They only have pistols. Do a search, I think there is a thread called Mortar team weapons from today or yesterday in which the reasoning is explained.

5. They never run out of MG ammo.

6. dunno

7. If they manage to move around, the Tac AI (do a search on that) will pick up on what it perceives to be the most threatening target. That might not be the one you had in mind, but they will shoot at something, if there is a target.

8. If they have LOS, they will start shooting unless they crawl or sneak, I believe.

9. Select the .50 team and press return. They might have inflicted casualties, but you could not see them due to fog of war issues.

10. Light - little, they get blown away by HE fast. Heavy, a bit more until they get blown away. Honestly, I don't know. It depends on what your unit does. I guess if they hide they have better cover than when they shoot at something (obviously). But a lot about CM is intuitive, so if you make a guess and it is reasonable, chances are the game works like that.

11. Yes - tanks can get hit, have at least one crew-member taken out, main-gun damaged, become immobilised and still be (although less) effective.

12. A 180-page manual that should address all these issues.

You can also search the board. I bet that 99+% of the question you could possibly have are already answered somewhere.

Hope that helped.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

5. They never run out of MG ammo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite Andreas. wink.gif If you look at the tanks info box it will have two different numbers for the co-ax and hull mounted MG. I've seen one of them at 0.

Don't worry I only noticed this during the last game I played. smile.gif

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

- does off-board artillery accuracy depend on how far the target is from the "friendly" edge of the map?

Not sure, but I don't think so. Heavy artillery can be located many many miles behind the front line - the 1 or 2 (or even 3) miles from the friendly map edge to the target shouldn't have a big effect on accuracy (I think).

No, the main factor with regard to arty accuracy is if the forward observer team is able to see the target area or not. If they do, they can adjust the fire onto the target. If they don't, well - good luck.

- for machinegun and inf. units the ammo quantity is shown around 40-50 at the start of the battle, what is this number- clips?some in-game units? what do they represent?

In-game units. More precisly: the amount of "bursts" the unit can fire at full firepower. After that, the ammo becomes "LOW" - the unit will only fire once or twice a turn.

- more on small arms ammmo- say inf. squad has 2BARS, 1SMG and 9 Garands, they shoot at the target say 400m away. does the firepower they can bring on the target include their SMG -which is out of range.

No. When you look at the firepower tables (click on a unit and hit ENTER) you see which weapons contribute to the firepower at which ranges.

- more on example above- if they expend all of their "40 units" of ammo, and then they close in within SMG range, will they shoot SMG(it didnt expend any ammo before)?

Firing at longer ranges will expand less ammo "units" than when firing at short ranges (to simulate that only a part of that unit's weapons is firing). But after the ammo is at "LOW", it stays low.

- is it possible to see what secondary weapons MG or bazooka team has?

Pistols. Reason: to prevent gamey tactics with squads being used as full-blown combat units (mainly at the end of a battle).

- is it possible to see how much MG ammo the tank has left?

Yep, click on it and hit ENTER. MG ammo is listed in brackets behind the MG weapon entry.

- i think i figured out how command delay works but sometimes my tanks would have a delay too- readme says that command delay does not apply to armor, whats up? does it have anything to do with buttoned/unbuttoned status?how to minimize this delay?

Tanks DO have a command delay. However, the delay does NOT depend on the proximity to a HQ unit as it does with infantry. The command delay largely depends on the tank's experience level and stays pretty much consistent. Not much you can do.

- if my team's LOS to target is obstructed, can i order it to move around obstacle, and THEN shoot at target- all within 1 turn, if yes, how exactly do i do that?

You can target units out of LOS at anytime. The target order will stick for some time, and if the target comes into LOS during the turn, your unit will engage it. With the full version and patch 1.01, units will retarget to the player specified target once it comes into LOS even if engaging another enemy in the meantime (depends also on threat levels, though).

- can i order a team to move while shooting at the SPECIFIC target, if yes, how exactly do i do that?

Issue a move order, and issue a fire order. Or did I misunderstand the question?

- what is the range at which machine gun , say .50 cal. can effectively inflict casualties- i finished "valley of trouble" yesterday and at the end of battle neither mine no computer's machinegun teams scored any kills.

That is probably due to the Fog of War incorporated into these kill stats. Only confirmed kills are shown there. Your MG team might have killed/injured many enemy soldiers, but at greater distances etc. - this would not be shown here...

For a check on the effective range of a machinegun, check the firepower table (click on unit, hit ENTER)

- what kind of cover "light" and "heavy" buildings provide from MG, Tank, and mortar fire?

Heavy tank provides more cover, i.e. the building can sustain more direct hits from HE before collapsing, MG fire is less effective etc.

- what kind of damage model the engine uses for vehicles -so far i only seen em "eliminated" or "abandoned". can tank take some damage and keep operating at decreased efficiency(main gun or MG knocked out, turret rotation speed decreased, tank speed decreased etc etc etc).

The damage descriptions in CM concentrate on the effect the damage has, not on a visual description of what actually happened. So a tank with a broken main gun can really have its optics destroyed, or barrel shot off etc. An immobilized tank can have its tracks shot off, engine damaged, steering stuck etc.

- i am not satisfied with readme file - it seems only to scratch the surface of what seems to bea very complex system. what kind of documentation the full version has?

There is a 180 pages manual with the full game. The demo is meant to whet your appetite for more, of course, so if you want to know all the details, you'll have to buy the real thing I'm afraid... - or read this board (g)

Phoenix that jerks comment is probably a joke but i didnt get it well exuse me i guess i havent had enough coffe.

Moon Germanboy, Maximus, thanks a lot it pretty much answers all my questions.

i tried to search messages but there's just too many.