I asked about GameRanger Support and got the following back:

--

We will not be natively supporting any third party TCP/IP service or add-on

as there just isn't time. That doesn't mean we will not look at such options

the future though. I am not familiar with the particulars of Gameranger but

with services like Mplayer or Microsofts Gamezone they charge hefty fees to

be hosted which pretty much prevents us from being hosted there. They also

are usually wary of hosting games where only 2 people can connect at a time

as it limits the amount of potential customers they will receive.

--

I find this very unfortunate and would encourage every Mac player to write and request they support GameRanger.

Who did you get that reply from?

If Gameranger was wary about 2 person games then why would they support CC1 and 2?

There is no large fee to join.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

Matt's a PC guy!!!

I posted early before and I'm not sure about the fees. The designer of the service writes the software to get a game working with GR so BTS would have no work to do except to outline requirements and specs for the TCP/IP component.

There are currently 51 games on Gameranger. Among them are Q3, Unreal Tournament, Star Wars racer, Rainbow 6, Myth II, Star Trek:Elite Force and Madden NFL 2k. I'm betting games like Oni, Halo, Soldier of Fortune and Red Faction will also be playable on it.

Those are the main games to come out for Mac within the last few years. Obviously even to have CM listed with those games by those big name designers (iD Software, Bungie, Westlake Interactive) is worth almost any fee. It would also bring many customers to BTS.

CM is a flagship game on the Macintosh. It's made on a Mac. Why not have it playable on a Mac-only multiplayer service?

http://www.gameranger.com

Please have a look Matt!

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericgorr:

I asked about GameRanger Support and got the following back:

--

We will not be natively supporting any third party TCP/IP service or add-on

as there just isn't time. That doesn't mean we will not look at such options

the future though. I am not familiar with the particulars of Gameranger but

with services like Mplayer or Microsofts Gamezone they charge hefty fees to

be hosted which pretty much prevents us from being hosted there. They also

are usually wary of hosting games where only 2 people can connect at a time

as it limits the amount of potential customers they will receive.

--

I find this very unfortunate and would encourage every Mac player to write and request they support GameRanger.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GR is free. I was talking to Evill about CM support, but he said BTS wasn't interested.

Guest Madmatt

And apparently you also cant READ what I said. In order for us to support GameRanger right NOW would require an investment of time that we simply can not and are not willing to make currently.

Feel free to take my words out of context all you want but what I said is true as it stands AT THIS MOMENT. I was also refering to GameZone and Mplayer as charging, not GameRanger.

So email us all you want but all it will do is delay the patch even further. We WILL be looking at these services in the future, but currently we don't have the time and resources.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-13-2000).]

How in the world do you know if you don't have the time or the resources to do it if you won't even consider looking into it at this time?

It cannot *possibly* be very difficult if even Deadlock, long after it became largely a dead game and was never that popular to begin with, was able to achieve GR support.

Look into it first and then decide. To make a decision based in pure ignorance is simply stupid.

From www.gameranger.com

Contact Scott Kevill at developer@GameRanger.com to find out just how easy it is to have GameRanger support your game.

Please include any information about the game that you can (confidentiality is assured), and in particular, the type of networking models it uses, and a very rough estimate of how far away the release is (if not already released).

Support is added to the game by the developer, and then the GameRanger plug-in is written by Scott Kevill, as the GameRanger server has a registry of all plug-ins.

Guest Madmatt

"To make a decision based in pure ignorance is simply stupid."

And to continue to insult us is also a poor course of action. Again, let me make this REAL CLEAR, we will look at GameRanger and a host of other online options once we have some more time. Other matters are more pressing right now.

If we do in turn decide to support a game service we will try to ensure that BOTH PC and Mac users will have a solution available to them.

Madmatt

It wasn't an insult. I was stating a fact. You haven't looked into it and really don't know how difficult it would be. Your decision is based, at least in part, on pure ignorance.

I have a feeling that if it took < 60 minutes to provide the support, the decision would likely change. Does it? I don't know and neither do you.

You clearly don't have any understanding of the importance of GameRanger to Macintosh internet gaming.

I find this to be an unfortunate attitude on your part.

Guest Big Time Software

We have nothing against GameRanger. The issue is one of time: we don't have any.

Any time one adds support for a third-party library it's going to take a nontrivial amount of effort, even just to modify the game's interface alone. We're busting our humps to get TCP/IP itself working properly, and we simply lack the resources to add support for GameRanger at this time.

We haven't ruled it out for the future though. We'll definitely revisit this issue when we have more time.

Charles

The issue is one of time: we don't have any.

--

Perhaps, but unless you look into it, you cannot really don't know for sure. Have you even bothered contacting GameRanger at all to at least get some details? Based on comments, I'm guessing you haven't.

--

Any time one adds support for a third-party library it's going to take a nontrivial amount of effort, even just to modify the game's interface alone.

--

Again, this seems to demonstrate how little you understand about how trivial it may be to provide support for GameRanger. Many games don't require any interface changes at all. They have simply provided a special path through the interface to support GameRanger.

I would encourage you to at least send the e-mail and find out.

Guest Madmatt

Okay, you said your peace and we have stated time and time again we will look at this issue later on.

Right now we are too busy and this is pointless to continue with you as you simply WON'T LISTEN TO WHAT WE ARE SAYING.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-13-2000).]