Looking for clarification of a comment made by MadMatt

I pulled this from a different thread because it is an issue I wanted clarification on serpartely.

Matt said "Tanks WILL fire smoke if they perceeve that their HE is not having any immediate threat and the enemy is targeting an exposed friendly unit. If anything, smoke useage in b23 is about as minimal as I have ever seen it."

I have noticed since the 1st beta patch that my tanks will fire smoke AT units (infantry and armor) that I have targeted them to fire at in the plot phase. This is not the behavior I have seen before the patch.

So I guess my question is...is it now in the code to shoot smoke as a protective measure against any threats to the shooting tanks and other friendly units. Or is it a glitch?

I have noticed this consisitently in all of my current mail games. I am sure it is not something that the game has always done.Is it something I should take into account when planning my turns?

Thanks.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

Guest MantaRay

Elvis, I have noticed it too, especially with my StugH42's in a previous game. Especially one that was 200m from the Piat, and instead of hitting him with HE, he laid smoke 4 times. Not a complaint, but I think the chances of a Piat winning that battle from 200m is pretty slim, especially when I am sure the PIat was disrupted by the Arty fire that was in his immediate vicinity.

Not a complaint, just more noticible now for me.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Are Ray and I the only ones seeing this?

------------------

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

called "chrisl." Peng

Guest Madmatt

You guys can rest assured that the SECOND I see odd smoke behavior I crank off a nasty email to Charles about it...TRUST ME ON THIS ONE! smile.gif

But with that being said, I really haven't seen any flagrant misuse of smoke in b24 yet, and I am just waiting for one. eek.gif

There is going to be one additional tweak made to the smoke code I believe, but it doesn't sound like it would have mattered in either of your games (more of an isolated occurrence with a vehicle smoke mortar, nothing major).

One thing I have noticed in b24 is some more logic when using smoke. If you watch carefully you will even see the TacAi mix HE and Smoke rounds together in the same phase while in the past they used to get stuck into "SMOKE ONLY MODE".

Will we ever get the TacAi to follow our orders 100% of the time? No, and that's not what we want in the game, but we can continue to improve the logic behind it's behavior and usage of smoke and that, probably more than anything else recently, is what we have done.

I will be doing some more in-depth focused testing of this and trust me, when I do focused testing, it makes the little 10-12 run through samples often used by people on the forum to prove a point pathetic in comparison, and if I see any odd behavior you can rest assured that Charles will hear about it. smile.gif

Madmatt

Thanks Matt. I just didn't know if I had to change the way I was targeting my vehicles or if it was a glitch. Sounds like I must use a slightly diferrent approach than I have used in the past. Because when I stop to think about it it does seem that when my vehicles are firing at "bigger badder" vehicles is when they tend to fire smoke at the target instead of AP rounds. So I will work understand assumption now that if my Chaffee is taking a front shot at a King Tiger it has a good chance of shooting smoke instead of trying to get that once in a million shot. The logic being self preservation over trying to get lucky.

------------------

called "chrisl." Peng