CMSF2 randomly Crash to Desktop

The crash issue doesn't seem to have any pattern. After 1-2 Hour it crash to desktop.

I run it over Steam, and after the Crash i verify the Game files to check if anything is missing. Indeed, it download 1 file and a Message pop up

1 file failed ot validate and will be reaquired.

I did a clean reinstall of the Game

Double check all my Drivers

Disable Antivirus

Check Firewall and Router to make sure it is ok

I had about 20 Hours of Gameplay without any crashes, and it started to happen 2 Days ago.

I'm not sure what else i can try to get this Game running without problems again.

What file "downloaded" ? I'm not specifically aware of any update as of yet via Steam of CMSF2. Are there more details about the file that failed to "validate" via Steam ?

Is CMSF2 currently crashing after the reinstall (the '1-2 hour crashing to desktop') ? Were you able to run it for more than 2 hours in the past ? Do you know if you updated some drivers or something that may have changed about your computer since it wasn't crashing running CMSF2 ?

What anti-virus software do you run ? Sometimes 'disabling' it doesn't truly work (a number of anti-virus/security programs continue to do something when they are 'disabled'). Have you added any exceptions within the anti-virus software for the CMSF2 game directory and/or game executables ? Usually, though not always, you get a notification from your anti-virus software when it has shutdown a process that it thinks is a security threat. However when security/anti-virus software is a culprit in a game not running it usually results in the game not running at all or crashing immediately after launch.

Do you get a specific crash message when the game 'crashes to the desktop' or does it simply disappear with no message ? What videocard and drivers do you have installed ? I'm not specifically aware of any drivers that are incompatible, other than Intel integrated video drivers having occasional problems running the games (these will most often be encountered on laptops).

What i mean with a file downloaded;

In Steam '' Verify Integrity of Game files''. It downloaded 1 missing file that was a couple kb large. It doesn't detect missing files anymore. 

It keeps crashing after the reinstall and most of the time it happen less then 1 hour of gameplay. I have a 2070 gcard but didn't had a update recently or atleast not during the phase where it started to crash. Rollback to a older Version had the same result.

I have exceptions in Windows Defender and i tried to turn it off. I removed the Antivirus software from my system for a short ammount of time to test if it was the AV software.

No crash message at all. It just freeze a half second or so and then crash to desktop. I'm realy out of ideas.

The 'preferences.pfc' file is just the Preferences file that holds your settings such as those in the 'Options' menu and the last set of selections in a Quick Battle. To my knowledge the file will be created on a normal exit from the game. So run the game, checking the settings you want in the 'Options' menu and then exit the game. The file should get written. I don't think that the absence of this file would be causing your crashing.

On my main computer I run a GeForce 2070 Super with NOT the latest drivers, so that likely isn't the problem.

Some users have run into issues with Windows Defender (though most haven't), but I believe it will usually result in the game being unable to run AT ALL (being blocked from running). If you have another anti-virus/security program installed it will typically deactivate Windows Defender from running its active protection functionality (which is typically what interferes with programs).

Are there other games you've run on this computer for an hour or more that do NOT crash ? What I'm getting at is if there are any stability issues with your computer that CMSF2 may be bringing out. Usually CM will stress the CPU more than anything else. But with crashing related to hardware I would assume that the crash would bring down the whole computer/OS and not just the game alone.

Do you know what other programs may be running in the background ? Outside of some Nahimic sound control software I'm not particularly aware of any incompatible programs that interfere with CM.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been getting random crashes too, which is what brought me here. I've had CM "Final Blitzkrieg" since (I think) around 2015. Never had a crash until a few weeks ago, and this was while playing an enormous scenario in campaign mode so I thought maybe I had just overloaded it. But now, similar to the OP, I seem to get regular crashes in which CM just shuts down after about an hour or two of play.

I also have a few other problems, in that I can't log into the system to see what I've bought etc. I was going to zap it and re-download & install it from scratch but I'm glad I checked first to verify I can get into the system because now I can't. Tried resetting password but that seems to have gone into a dead end. Somehow I ended up logging into the forum instead.

GoodSoldierSchweik - You're logging into the Battlefront Store account, correct (https://www.battlefront.com , clicking on 'Login' button in upper right) ? You need to use the email account that you originally created the Store account with as the 'Username'. If the email account is unrecognized, it's probable that you will not get a password reset email. If you no longer have access to that email address, then you'll need to open a Support ticket (https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/ , clicking the blue '+new ticket' button in the upper right).

The crashing that you're experiencing is with CMFB or CMSF2 ? Do you know if anything is different about your game installation (recently applied a patch) or your computer/OS (new drivers, etc.) ?

Have you purchased the 3.0 Upgrade and/or the 4.0 Upgrade ? If you purchased the 3.0 Upgrade only, then there is a download for that (from its purchase link in your account) which is an 'all-in-one' installer. I believe it should get you to the latest patch of the 3.x series with that one download (and all modules are installed with this one download).

If you have the 4.0 Upgrade, download from that purchase link and it will also be an all-in-one installer, but for the 4.x series. I believe it should be fully up-to-date with the latest patch and all modules (4.03).

If you have activated a game/module on this computer before, then you should NOT need to activate it again (on this computer) if you have NOT reinstalled Windows or done significant hardware upgrades. I can't remember if the 3.x series had the 'Activate New Products/Modules' shortcut or not. This shortcut link basically launches the game and calls up the activation screen to activate a license key. If you don't have it, you can create one yourself by modifying a shortcut created from the game executable and modifying the command line.

For CMBN 3.x you would need the following license keys to activate everything:

1) CMBN 2.0 Upgrade (or the base game if it was purchased when 2.0 was the current version)

2) CMBN 3.0 Upgrade

3) Commonwealth module

4) Market Garden module

5) Vehicle Pack

6) Battle Pack

For CMBN 4.x you would need the following license keys to activate everything:

1) CMBN 3.0 Upgrade (or the base game key if it was purchased when 3.0 was the current version)

2) CMBN 4.0 Upgrade

3) Commonwealth module

4) Market Garden module

5) Vehicle Pack

6) Battle Pack

The order of licensing the keys should not matter, though you will not be able to run the game from these downloads until you have activated the two Upgrade/base-game license keys first.

Ok I managed to get CMFB updated to version 2.03 and engine 4, is that current?

I upgraded CMBN to version 2.12 (so far0 and I went through an activation process on Market Garden which seemed to be successful, but the MG scenarios are still blocked.

If you buy the extra vehicles and extra scenarios packages, which of the two games would it apply to? Are they available for both?

Thanks for all the help, I'm gradually getting this up to speed.

9 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Make sure you select the 'Upgrade 3.0 + 4.0 Bundle':

https://www.battlefront.com/cmbn-upgrades/cmbn-upgrade-3-4-bundle/

Your bundle of the Commonwealth + Market Garden modules appears to be 2.x only, so both the 3.0 and 4.0 Upgrades are necessary and the above bundle is the best price for them.

Thanks for the link, there were several different options. If I get this, will it 'awaken' my now unavailable MG scenarios?

If these were 'original' MG scenarios, then the 3+4 Upgrade should NOT affect that. If these are downloaded MG scenarios, then it is possible that they were created with a newer version of CM and then those WOULD be available with this upgrade (assuming the MG module is activated). When you launch CM, the initial splash screen menu should show icons along the bottom that indicate what has been activated. In the case of CMBN there is an American Sherman tank (base game), Cromwell tank (Commonwealth module), two parachutes on blue background (MG module), Flakpanzer 38 (Vehicle Pack), and a generic explosion (Battle Pack).