Steam version -can't launch the game (Family Sharing)

Welcome!

AFAIK, if your family member is playing in online mode on another PC, you will not be permitted to open any other game with your shared account (regardless of the game you intend to play). Well, at least that's what happens to us in the family. My way around this is to restart in offline mode and everything launches perfectly.

Edited by Malaspina

Ran into the same issue.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

I uninstalled the game, reinstalled it, verified it, ran the above scan/replace (which did replace 1 file but I don't know which, some dll thing most likely), and then it worked. This has happened in the past with Steam and I don't know what causes it other than it's likely tied to Windows updates. For example, my Win10 updates will about half the time delete my audio drivers. So if they're at that level of ineptitude I'm sure there's other little files getting jerked around. But all tech problems tend to be a little different so I can't guarantee it'll work. Best of luck.