What are Engineers good for?

I've never really used them as anything but kind of a wussy rifle squad. I know they carry large demo charges but I've only seen them use one once and I wasn't that impressed. I know they can clear mine fields but I've never encountered a mine field where I could send some engineers. They're not exactly front line combat material. Is there something I'm missing about this unit?

Hawkeye

You'll notice that engineers have the same armament as a rifle squade, plus their demo charges. I haven't found the mine clearing ability all that useful, but they make short work of bunkers and tanks if you can get them close enough. Otherwise I've found them just as effective as standard rifle teams.

In realality combat engineers where some of the more highly respected outfits in the war, and rightly so IMO. I imagine that building a bridge while under fire is no sort of "wussy" activity. I like the story of the group of engineers who were building an airbase for B29s in the south pacific. A machine gun nest opened up on the construction site, so the crew buried it with their bull dozers.

When I was a Combat Engineer Plt Ldr and then a Company Commander I always replied to this question with the following.

We can Fight anything the Infantry Can plus my squad leaders know how to use a calculator. Of course it had to be a four function calculator only.

Seriously, wargames do a poor job in simulating (sp?) what combat engineers do on the battlefield. We are broken down from our combat bn's into companies and plt's and even squads and assigned out to other combat units. In WWII you typically had a Eng plt supporting a Inf BN. Now days we try to give a Inf BN a company.

I was just glad when BTS gave the Cbt Eng squads the ability to clear mines in CM. Other wise gamers use us as nothing but Inf because that is the only apparent function in most wargames. In real world situations engineers are in such short supply the decision to use us has Inf is usually held by the Div or Corps commander. They will not let Bde or Bn commanders put the nab on us. Oh well enough rambling on.

John

Eassyon's (motto of the Combat Engineers - "Lets Us Try")

Try this.....

Engineer squads are good at close assaulting tanks from behind once the tank is immobolized.

Those demo charges can knock out the tracks.

The demo charges can KO tanks if they can get close enough.

The demo charges can be thrown into buildings.

They blow stuff UP!

what could be more fun?

-tom w

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Well, I have had an engineer squad throw their satchel charge at an enemy squad 20 meters away. The effect was devastating. These are specialty units, and should not be squandered. smile.gif

Slightly off topic, but I served my last year with the 52nd Engineers (construction) at Ft. Carson. They were probably the hardest working bunch I saw during my time in. Rather than always training for war, they were always working, on and off post. Being signal, I didn't like it. I had a lot of respect for them though. Sorry, back to the war...

Yes, they are very good at close range.

Two German squads and an HQ decided to rush one of my engineer squads.

After a demo charge, both squads are eliminated as well as the HQ. BANG! They were gone. biggrin.gif

My engineers are in a tight spot now, though -- there are more Germans than they can probably hold off...

eek.gif

Last night I had a rotten little Stuart survive three demos from my engineers that all appeared to be very close to target, and all going off in the same minute. Imagine the bells ringing in that crew's heads. They just smiled and drove away real fast. Actually lost to the AI because of that one event. I too have seen some devastating DC attacks on infantry though, and also have seen at least a couple tanks wiped.

As a grandson of a WW2 combat engineer (270th Engineer Combat Battalion, 70th Infantry Division) and author of their unit history, I can tell you that engineers are worth their weight in gold. Used properly, they'll clear a minefield (be sure to provide covering fire) and they will put a hurtin' on a pillbox or tank.

Engineers during WW2 found themselves in both roles (infantry and engineer). They fought the enemy, the same as infantry, but are denied the Combat Infantryman Badge, simply because they aren't infantry. IMO, they should have it.

------------------

Webmaster

http://www.trailblazersww2.org

http://www.vmfa251.org