Arty Spotters in the frontline??

Hi all,

after playing like a maniac over the weekend (my girlfriend hates me errrm, this game) i´m absolutely happy with this game.

It rocks!!!

But, i saw several times, Arty Spotters running straight into enemy fire - like it was in the Beta. It seems to me, they do it, when they are a member of platoons, who are embarked in a transporter. Do they try to join them, after disembarked?????

I saw it in a DYO-scenario several times, after deploying the Spotter to a "foot"-unit HQ they did their job very well!!!

Has anybody an answer to me?

Again, it´s the best wargame i ever played, the AI rocks, the editor is wonderful - thanks a lot, BTS!

Greetings

Jochen

hehe, ever wonder why the life expectancy of an FO in combat is only 30 seconds or so?? This is an indicator smile.gif

FO's need to be near the front so they can see target get arty fire in the right spot in the right time smile.gif

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

Aha,

some people are still present here in the forum.

Sure, Fos need a LOS, so they have to be near the fighting - but running straight to the enemy position, across open field like a fanatic squad - close assaulting the enemy???

Well, most times, the AI did it well - so, no big thread.

Thanks for your answers!!

Jochen

Guest Scott Clinton

In the third battle of the Carentan operation the AI placed a LONE arty spotter on its extreme left flank. NOTHING else was within 300m.

He had no line of sight worth speaking of (unless I was moving in the open) because I walked right OVER and past him using "SNEAK" using a line of trees that he occupied.

BTW, I hope this is fixed. frown.gif I watched my entire platoon walk to, over and past this guy. Hell, one of them went from 5m...4m...3m...1m...to no reading at all (zero meters?) and never fired a shot. I know they were sneaking, but give me a break once you are withing 5 meters let alone 1m I think it would be time to fire. Of course the arty spotter never fired, because he has no personal weapons. So, next turn the all stop, turn and shoot him down like a dog.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 07-05-2000).]

I've noticed this strange behavior, too, Jochen. I played one of the operations this weekend. At one point in one of the battles, I had just taken a small group of houses adjacent to some heavy woods, when out of the blue some freight train sized arty knocks out a bunch of my units that had taken the town. The AI followed up the (very) short barrage with an infantry charge, which my surviving (and now pissed off) infantry and armor immediately annhilated. Here's the kicker: After watching a few squads of fellow SS infantry get gunned down, a previously unseen spotter (presumably the one the just did all the damage with those massive shells) broke from cover in the woods and charged my units in the town. Had he stayed put and called in more arty, he could have done much more damage. As it stood, his stupid charge only cost me a few bullets (actually more like a buttstroke to the forehead!) The AI was not even close to being out of ammo or units, as they had a terrific AT/infantry ambush just up ahead of the town. Very strange indeed.