Gentle Persuasion

I have a good friend who introduced me to computer wargaming several years ago (I think it was UMS on the Atari ST). Anyway, we have both played a number of PBEM wargames - EFront, WFront, PG, PGII, SP series etc... I have tried to get him interested in CM - he downloaded the demo (after a lot of persuasion) & played LD as axis (whilst I was talking him thru tactics etc - Hellcats turn 10). He enjoyed the game so I suggested PBEM, set myself up as Allies, sent him the turn and waited. And waited.

Three weeks have passed & he now says that he doesn't want to start PBEM 'cos LD is too predictanble as Hellcats will arrive on turn 10 & would be better if their arrival is less well defined !!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Help guys ! How do I convince him to change his mind with both the beta and the full game.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest Zulu1

Download Chance Encounter and ask him to pick a side. If he hasn't seen this map, it will be a totally new scenario for him. Both sides have armor and infantry, a real fun one.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Well, I'd tell him that the reason the Hellcats show up on Turn 10 *is* because it is *just* the Beta Demo which is 6 months old and the reinforcements in the Gold code will most likely be random. I think. I hope so anyway.

'Fionn', 'Madmatt', or 'rune', the Beta Testers will probably have better info than me on that. But, I'd say that that is probably true now. Because "reinforcements" are somewhat based on how you're doing. Cause why reinforce a lost cause?

The reinforcements in CE (Chance Encounter) for the Americans are very dynamic. It depends on how you're doing and whether or not reinforcements would help.

The problem maybe is just the way LD was scripted. Being it one of the original scenarios in the Demo, while CE was an additional one available later.

------------------

"I am not interested in the names of your fathers...nor of your family's lineage. What I am interested in...is your breaking point!"--Gen. Chang

Guest Big Time Software

Reinforcements in the Beta Demo *are* random. Even Last Defense's Hellcats are random. I just gave 'em a 90% chance of showing up on Turn 10. That was a concious design decision. As you said, these secenarios were not ment to be played over and over again. In fact, *NO* scenario is meant to be played over and over again smile.gif So having them pop up even 100% on Turn 10 is fine by me since people generally won't replay a game more than once or twice when they have infinate battles to play.

Steve