The Bois de Bavent

"To groves always men come both to their joy and their undoing,"

-The poet David Jones

New Operation is ready for testing. Semi-fictional Axis assault on the Orne Bridgehead - June 10th, 1944. Map is 2.8km x 2.5km, and is derived from a combination of 1:25000 scale maps and aerial photos. Force size is approx 6500 German / 5300 Allied. 3 Battles / 30 turns each.

Here are a few pics of the map:

troarnnw2vv.th.jpg

This is looking NW from the German forward positions at Troarn. The main road in the center heading towards 'the Triangle' eventually makes its way to Ranville, and then the vital bridges over the Orne river and Caen Canal.

sannervillen1sp.th.jpg

Here we are looking due North, again from the German forward positions at Sannerville. The open countryside ahead is the attack route the 21st Panzer division will take - assuming of course the 346th Infantry is able to sweep the Bois de Bavent of the hidden AT guns. In the distance you can see the villages of Escoville and Herouvillette, both objectives for the 21st Panzer.

herouvillettese0ra.th.jpg

This view is the opposite of the first screenshot. Distance from Herouvillette to 'the Triangle' is roughly 1200 meters, with Troarn an additional 1400 meters further on.

boisdebaventn2jl.th.jpg

Here we are on the southern edge of the Bois de Bavent looking north towards the British lines. The church in the center shows up clearly in the 1:25000 scale scans that JonS e-mailed me, but I can't find any online reference of its name. Anyone know?

buressw9qu.th.jpg

Finally, here is a view looking to the SW. From here you can see the landmarks designating the three bridges over the Dives river that were destroyed on D-day, the road and rail bridges outside Bures and the larger bridge near Troarn. All courtesy of 8th Para.

You can download it from The Proving Grounds.

Enjoy smile.gif

[ April 02, 2006, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Kingfish ]

Because I must keep the flame alive!

Actually, a CMAK conversion is in the works but I first have to do something for Andreas. When I do get around to converting this one it will be a scenario rather than an Op. My first playtest resulted in the battle lines being redrawn across the English Channel, this with no man's land set to zero :mad: