mortar team breakup

Anyone else notice sometimes the guy with binoculars on mortar team staying behind as the other members of the team are ordered ahead, I have no save game so forget asking but I noticed the team moved ahead and engaged target behind tall hedges while binocular guy just looks on behind them. I guess it could happen in real life, but doubt it's built in.

Various team separation bugs have been reported - and fixed over the years. Sounds like another one.

There are things you can do to get them back together - as a workaround. Cancel all their move orders and give them a new one somewhere between the team members. If that doesn't work you can try leaving them order-less for a turn and try again. Or try giving them an order back to where they used to be. Typically one of these things works.

Or you can frag the spit off guy - area fire with HE will do the trick. It's a little extreme but I had to do it once when the team did this trick while embarking onto a truck. You could not cancel the order because they were in the process of embarking. You could not give orders to the team or the truck. Well the truck would accept orders for but for after the passengers embarked. Since they were not going to embark... Anyway I dispatched a tank and a few rounds of HE later all was well.