WW2 Footage in Colour - Film "D-Day to Berlin"

Part of my job is to do with archive footage. In anticipation of the commemoration of D-Day I rediscovered Hollywood director George Steven's colour home movies of his war. He volunteered at 37 and was put in charge of a combat film unit, filming of course in B/W but he took his 16mm camera along and had access to rare stocks of colour film. These home movies were only discovered by his son in storage after his death.

It's an eye-opener, and useful for modelling and gaming.

Brilliant.  Thanks...

BTW:  When the narrator says "This is the way it really looked." be aware that that old color film didn't photograph completely accurate color when manufactured and in addition the colors changed as the film aged,.  So, be aware that the colors are not 100% "the way it looked". 

Interesting to see the Dachau mail stamper than Stevens liberated.  Quite a momento.

Edited by Erwin

• 5 months later...

On watching this through again, I think that there should be a proper restoration using modern digital techniques to bring out the quality of this film which covers some of the most important events of WW2. I wonder what happened to the underground tunnels of Nordhausen, were they dynamited, or are they still there? 
BTW I have a half-French friend, and in her early years she knew a relative who was imprisoned there (he'd run away from German workforce conscription to hide in the woods and was captured and labelled a "terrorist" even though he had not been in the resistance AFAIK). So he got sent there. It seems like he survived by becoming some sort of top dog among the prisoners, I imagine in a brutal way. She said that he had episodes of craziness, paranoia, sudden noises and dogs barking would send him cowering under the table. Poor man.