VBIED (Bug or error in manual)

8LYF6Jz.jpg

"Conventional" IED have to be activated before use. This can be activated to explode whenever anyone gets close, or Targeted to a specific unit. Either way these are set off by a Trigger man.

The CMSF 2 manual says a similar thing about VBIEDs - that they'll either explode automatically in proximity to an enemy, or can be Targeted to one unit in particular.

However:

VBIED can't use a "Target" command in game.

The spy you get with the VBIED can Target (although he has nothing to shoot with), but in testing targeting with the spy doesn't seem to have any effect on when the VBIED explodes.

So... is the manual wrong here?

To set them off, as you discovered, all you need to do is drive them at an enemy unit or place an enemy unit in front of one.  The Spy is mostly there to allow a player to acquire a target for a subsequent VBIED attack, he can be dismounted without detriment to the effectiveness of the attack (I recommend doing so if playing as Uncons, but don't bother when using AI controlled VBIEDs as you can easily wind up with far too many spies!  :ph34r:)

VBIEDs (x45) & IEDs (x280) at work (all of them detonate or are disabled, no unexploded ordnance remains on turn two, which is a lot harder to make happen than you might imagine):

84gAGvq.jpg

In this example I used them to simulate a SRBM strike (mostly because I really like blowing stuff up).  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead