Warping effect during PBEM *really* pi**es me off

When is the 1.06 patch coming out?

It must arrive soon, because this warping and teleporting of enemy units is a complete joke. Why f**king well play with fog of war, when you can't believe your own eyes with these UFO enemy units blinking and reappearing all the map!!

It is impossible to plan effectively when I KNOW that an enemy vehicle will start teleporting everywhere when I next get to play a film.

------------------

battlefront.com forum: "DO A SEARCH DO A SEARCH DO A SEARCH"

Bates,

Are you talking about Sound Contacts? These have been known to skip around as your men try to get a bearing on them. As to actual, spotted units, I have never seen, in 1000s of games, a single spotted unit move in any sort of way as to make me think the game had issues remotely like what you're describing.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

You must be fighting in fog or at night, that is where it happens and I don't think it is a bug, I think it is fun! Night fighters in real life used many methods to use the odd sound quality of fog, and the limited vision of the night to play mind games, and these little illusions become part of the mind game. You are letting the fog control you when you should control the fog.

I have about a dozen tactics to tell about all this, but I will save them until my fog game is over.

Okay, I am getting units flickering violently around the screen. Believe me, this is not an effect which anyone program into the game, and when I have finished my current matches I will posting evidence of this happening.

I am playing daylight/regular veteran troops etc etc, no fog or rain or anything.

It is not a hardware problem and it occurs quite often. It happens when you have units close but not in LOS to any of your units.

Well, it happens very often in my games and I don't find it annoying but funny. Perhaps those tanks are remnants of the 12th Panzerclownische Division...

I have NEVER seen warping or "teleporting" other than sound contacts in any of my games. If yours is doing that, you have a problem and I'd guess it's a video card and/or driver issue. BTW I'm playing several people who have Macs and I have a PC so I don't think that's it either.

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Well, it happens very often in my games and I don't find it annoying but funny. Perhaps those tanks are remnants of the 12th Panzerclownische Division...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it very annoying, it completely arses up all my recon work.

Next time it happens, check the units that are bouncing around. If they are the GREY "sound contact" or "light armour?" type units, that means that, indeed, your troops know there's a truck (tank?) around here somewhere but won't know for certain until they get a visual sighting -maybe behind that hill, or in that group of trees,or -no wait, around that bend in the road, or....

It's called FOW. It shows that your guys don't know where an enemy units is just that it's out there in that direction somewhere. It's not messing up any recon work you've done. It's a sort of recon in it's self!

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

M. Bates, are you seeing actual identified enemy and friendly units showing this behavior or is it the markers (small insignias) doing this?

Madmatt

I have sometimes seen something like this, but only in larger games. I think it is because my computer is so old. If you watch the second counter during the replays and it will pause then skip foward a few seconds. That is the same thing happening to me. If not I don't know what to tell you.

------------------

The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>M. Bates, are you seeing actual identified enemy and friendly units showing this behavior or is it the markers (small insignias) doing this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never seen it with the insignias, that I could say for sure.

It mostly happens with unidentified vehicles, but I have also seen this with bailed crews, but it does not happen with units that are engaging each other in combat.

It's a very strange effect, and when I have finished my current games, I will post the films and passwords on to some web space and let people have a good look.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

It mostly happens with unidentified vehicles, but I have also seen this with bailed crews, but it does not happen with units that are engaging each other in combat.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unidentified vehicles mostly ARE sound contacts, and DO jump around as your guys guess their location.

Bailed crews will disappear and reappear if they are captured, and none of your other units have LOS to them. They reappear when you establish the LOS, but as Captured (I've seen this).

M. Bates, when you get a chance could you send me a turn when this occurs and the password? I would like to have a look and escalate this as need be.

Thanks!

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

Anyone who has seen this effect will know exactly what I mean, the damned things are moving so quickly across sideways up and down the screen - across the entire screen - that they are almost a blur.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I will have to say that I've noticed this effect as well. When it happens (and I have seen it a number of times), it is always vehicles. They are always sound contacts only, and very occasionaly very poor visual contacts. The bad visual contacts do a normal 'it might be here, wait, is it over there' sort of dance. The very early on sound contacts appear in a demented stuttering pattern all over that region of the map. I might get 10-15 Sound Contact? images appearing around the map, one after the other, in the matter of a few seconds. I just figured it was a rather awkward indication that no one has a clue where the noise is coming from, although the appearance/dissappearance of the markers is so fasst and covers such a volume of territory that it might be a bug. Again, the most egregious examples were invariably either 'Sound Contacts?', or occured in already very dicey sighting conditions. Oh, and I'm on a Mac, and have seen this both in PBEMs with opponents on either platform, and on QBs generated and played on my own machine.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest Big Time Software

Official poop...

Yes, this is a known bug. Do not hold your breath for a quick patch though. Charles is not fixing any more bugs until TCP/IP is done. That won't be for a while.

As someone who has had this happen to him a few times, I can comment from first hand experience that this is a cosmetic bug only. It is not messing up your recon and it has no effect on Fog of War.

Apparently what is happening is that the random location picker for sound contacts is displaying all the choices it goes through before finding the one it likes best. Since these locations are RANDOM, someone could look at the units flying around until their eyeballs bleed but it wouldn't yeild any information other than what would happen if the bug were fixed.

Bottom line... yeah, it is ugly, but it has NO effect on the game. It is also likely a Mac vs. PC issue. Charles probably forgot to update something to be in synch when he changed the PBEM format for 1.04.

Steve

It happens in fog a lot and I kind of like it. I actually thought it was a feature, not a bug (oh my god, Microsoft speak).

It made me imagine all these guys sitting hear listening to the fog and hearing a Tiger in the mist echoing about them. Two guys point in opposite directions and say -- its coming from that way! Great fun for everyone.

Far as I am concerned the bug can stay forever. You cannot really use the random blimps to estimate a center, and it can really be scary when it is a tank figure and you are moving tracks about in the dark.