Darn it Matt!

Arrgghh! OK, now I go to your site 10x a day looking for that big update that was sure to hit this weekend....

I know, I know, I am being whiny. But you've done great work in the past, so don't keep teasing us. It's not nice! Geez, can you hear the whining in my voice yet?! Good! Now release MDBAU2 so we can play with it - and then we can tell you and Kwazydog what good work you do. OK?!

Guest Madmatt

I never said anything about a Big A$$ Update number 2 to be honest. I just did a Big A$$ Update #1 so I could take last weekend off.

The normal update is being uploaded right now and will be ready once I post the annoucement.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

What!? You take weekends off? I thought your contract was for 120 hour work weeks! That menas, you must work at least 18 hours a day on the weekends.

OK, silliness aside. I wanted to reiterate how exciting it is to get updates from you guys, so I must say I'm sorry for bugging so much... Better than no excitement & interest though right?!

Guest Madmatt

Well, If I could quit my job and do Combat Mission stuff full time and get (here is the key) PAID for it, I would!

Sadly, I ain't made penny #1 on any of this stuff... frown.gif

I might have to go ahead add my own banners to CMHQ and the Annex as a little moola would be nice...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-23-2000).]

I know you're not paid. Being a game developer (career) is pretty stressful work though... and risky. If you work in the computer field, you're probably better off (financially) than working at a gaming company. Plus, I'm sure you do have a life, and the developers I know rarely get a break. It's never ending... fix, develop, fix, develop, breathe...

I used to think it'd be so great to be in game development, but after what I've seen from my developer friends: well, lets just say I like to see the light of day...

Guest Madmatt

Yes, I do work in IT but I also did game devolopment work in the past and I would drop my current career in second to get back to what I truely enjoy...

BEING A BOUNCER AGAIN!!! wink.gif

Madmatt...

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Yes, I do work in IT but I also did game devolopment work in the past and I would drop my current career in second to get back to what I truely enjoy...

BEING A BOUNCER AGAIN!!! wink.gif

Madmatt...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm....that would explain your CMHQ chat management style, practice for your favorite occupation! wink.gif

Mace

Madmatt provided for us quite a few "bouncer's tales" several months earlier (about the New Year's timeframe or before). If you do a search with the keywords "Madmatt" and "bouncer", you should find some of these classics.

Guest Madmatt

I was indeed. Did it for several years and even did a 'Guest Appearance' about 3 months ago to help out.

Yeah, I got tons of stories and recently with the level of stress that has pervaded my life I have seriously given thought to returning to the life of black light and sweaty bodies.

Things are simpler when your job has hundreds of half naked women dancing all around you every night... wink.gif

Madmatt...

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Rollstoy

What kind of training do you receive as a bouncer?

From my experience (Jiu Jitsu) being big may not be sufficient against a determined *and* skilled (not to mention armed) opponent.

Regards, Thomm

Guest Madmatt

Training was not provided as such but I and some other bouncers got together and hired a personal trainer for our own personal reasons.

I had taken Tae Kwon Do when I was younger but its not too potent in a bar fight. Legs and kicks tend to get you in more ttrouble than they are worth in close quarters hand to hand! wink.gif

We focused on Ju Jitsu (as you mentioed) but the most potent and useful were Akido and Kenpo for their submission moves and balance. Most of what a 'good' boucner does is based on subduing and not going toe to toe with someone. The problem with 'fighting' someone is you never know how many buddies they got coming in from your blind side so the key to getting someone out of the club is quick and decisive action. When a bouncer makes his move he must be swift and unreleneting. You can't afford to argue, or even discuss with the individual WHY you are making them leave, you only have time to GET them out the door safely.

Thats another aspect of being a bouncer that is often overlooked. We arent there to bust heads (although that does happen) we are there to keep the patrons SAFE from harm. When alcohol is served peoples judgement is impaired, as a bouncer I had to act as that judgement in more than one instance. Getting someone out of the bar not only was safer for the people they were interfering with but themselves as well.

I can't recall anyone who ever came back and said 'Hey man, thanks for kicking me out when I started smacking my head against that pole repeatedly when my girlfriend dumped me', but if I hadn't who is to say what might have happend.

Being big is NOT a requirement to make a good bouncer. In fact fighting ability is the LEAST important factor to consider. Awareness is the key. A good bouncer can detect a fight 10 minutes before it starts. There are MANY stages to a fight, they rarely, if ever, just 'Brew Up', in fact they tend to simmer for a bit and a good bouncer will see this and step in to resolve a potential incident before the fists start flying. Knowing how to take command of situation is another key factor and obviously size helps in that but a decent authoratative voice can do wonders as well. I am lucky I suppose to have, size, loud booming command voice and fighting ability but I came to depend on my voice far more than my fists and steel toed boots.

Again, I must stress that awareness is the Bouncers most potent tool. Of course on a crowded and dark dance floor its impossible to see every little detail so you learn what to focus on, it's all about catagorizing people immediately. You do these wide scans of the crowd and assess each person according to a 'profile' that you have learned to recognize.

Its funny but I use the same approach here on the Forum and its never failed me yet. I can usually tell right off the bat if someone seems cool while some of others are... well we don't need to go there.

Check out some of my earlier posts on this subject if you are genuinely interested in this type of work. It was allot of work and I took my share of bumps and bruises but it had it's moments and I am glad I had a chance to do it.

Madmatt

You want some of me pal?!?

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Madmatt

Yeah, but you know how hard it is on a King Tiger to try and get one of the ladies to go down on your err..ummm...Go down on your ummm, ahhhh.. your navertaweewee! eek.gif

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex