Cure for I GOTTA WAIT FOR COMBAT MISSION BLUES!!!! THRUS> UPDATE ON CMHQ!!!!!

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

You got dem BLUES?!? Well we got a little cure for ya to help with dem blues. Check out our newest SPECIAL FEATURE highlighting some of the new enhancements to Ambushes and basically serving as a showcase for me to take pictures of me blowing the living snot outa stuff!

Also got yet ANOTHER in my neverending series of depressing and lonely POTD's...

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-02-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

What are those British tanks? They don't look like Cromwells, unless BTS has redone their textures.

Guest Madmatt

There all different types...

Fireflys

Cromwell Mk. IV's

Challengers way in the back and

for the those with telescopic eagle eyes there are THREE seperate types of armored cars in that column. The one in the front is a Daimler AC, with a Humber behind and a White Scout Car bringing up the rear, although he is sorta hiding... wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-02-2000).]

Guest GriffinCheng

Matt, I hate this but I am unable to get into the forum in CMHQ frown.gif Could you be kind enough and tell us what "gift" you have left for us?

Griffin @ work

Damn the shots are great. The trees almost look the minis we used to use so many years ago, wow am I getting old.

Got a quick question. Is it possible to HIDE a unit? I.e., can we camo it with foliage and such? In the demo the ATGs are placed but can be seen at considerable distance since it is impossible to create a camo position. Is such code possible within the game? One suggestion is to allow the code to replace a ATG graphics with a tree or small shrub until it is spotted by enemy units. Then suddenly the ATG appears.

What I have a problem with is that I realy cannot tell is a unit is concealed until they start to draw fire long before I think they should.

MikeT

Yes I too often have trouble accessing CMHQ. Most commonly the menus and banners load but the content doesn't. Either that or its so slooooow that I give up in frustration.

Quite frankly accessing CMHQ is about the last thing I would try to cure the "blues"... frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Simon Fox (edited 03-03-2000).]

OK, so I have a question about the kill zone shown in the ambush set-up. Does the tac-AI actually recognise that when I have 8 ambush markers out in a row on a road that I want to wait until the vehicles all get well into the kill zone prior to going off like the weenies in the beta demo?

BTW Matt, I got a 404 error when I tried to expand the tank in the fog pic.

[This message has been edited by William Thiel (edited 03-03-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Ok, let me address all these things in order..

I have covered MANY times issues with the site speed. CMHQ and The TGN servers are actually much better than the average website. Chances are the problem lies with your own ISP or with the route thats being taken to the TGN servers...Do a search on related topics and you will find SEVERAL posts from me going into detail about what can cause slowness...

I have fixed the link to the 3rd pic in the feature. The problem was that the thumbnail was a different name that the full version...Be sure and check it out again as its an awesome picture... Dont know how I missed that the first time... frown.gif

The forums on TGN are crap and I will probably pull the link AGAIN until they get them fixed. To be honest I don't espicially SEE the need for two seperate Forums when this one seems to do the job quite well. Its some sort of pride thing for TGN I suppose though...

If you read my message again it says that the SURPRISE will be waiting for you HERE (BTS COMBAT MISSION FORUM) and it will be ready later today so just be patient... wink.gif

Simon, I don't know what to tell you about your issues with the site...Perhaps when I get back from vacation we can get together online and I can troubleshot your problems. You might want to try and use one of the Java-Stripper programs that have been discussed before. They will pull out the banners and generally speed up the site and may fix your problem.. Do a search on Banners or Java and see what you find. There was a topic here all about this last week.

The ambush markers to my knowledge are independant of each other and I would think that it would be near impossible for the AI to KNOW my intent (in regards to order of firing etc..). A wiser move, if you would want to stagger the attack (sort of a rolling ambush) would be to use the HIDE+Target command (to those units that you want to wait a bit to engage) instead of Ambush as units will have a lower interest in engaging but will still take a shot when the oppertuninty is ripe. One point to mention is how much BETTER the Ai has become with regards to fire discipline and staying hidden. In my Ambush that I played I was pretty impressed with how the ambush played out espically as I NEVER gave ANY ORDERS at all to the Germans (even though they were under my command!) I only directed the British and very little at that. I played as both sides to keep the Brits on the road primarily (yeah pictures of tanks driving through the Rough and Scattered trees would have been real neat... NOT) and so I could get pictures from both perspectives. Color me old school but the thought of just playing one side with no FOW on leaves me feeling all itchy and creates this deep desire to wipe my own butt... But then so does thinking of one particular Forum member, but lets not go there...Those who join me in the nightly Chat Room should know what I was talking about... biggrin.gif

So I think that about covers it..The Surprise will be coming later tonight and It SHOULD hold you guys over till I get back...

And YES there will be one LAST (until next week) CMHQ Update when I get home! biggrin.gif

Madmatt

"Beaten, abused, insulted, publically ridiculed yet I STILL have a larger than normal member(ship)/NON rubber-inflatable girlfriend/high paying job/nice car and own my own house... Must be doing something right wink.gif"

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-03-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

You can smell anything you want but I will tell you straight that it AINT gonna be that! frown.gif Sorry...

Just an update, I see that the Forums working again over at CMHQ... How long they stay that way..Anybodies guess..

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

I have covered MANY times issues with the site speed. CMHQ and The TGN servers are actually much better than the average website. Chances are the problem lies with your own ISP or with the route thats being taken to the TGN servers...Do a search on related topics and you will find SEVERAL posts from me going into detail about what can cause slowness...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I don't think the problems are (directly) connected to TGN's site at all. It's the <expletive> banner ads that slow the site down. I'm on a T1 here at work and today the ambush special page wouldn't load for several minutes - it was stuck trying to contact banners.orbitcycle.com or something like that. I've seen this on occasion at other sites -- the ad server isn't responding and the rest of the page won't load until the ads are displayed. I understand the advertisers want their material to be seen, but I think after 10-15 seconds the page should just give up on the whole notion as a bad job and maybe come back after the actual content is loaded.

Guest Madmatt

Just checked out the Ambush page from work and I see what Leland was talking about. It appears that TGN had tried to Fix one problem with the banners (related to constant reloading of pages with the browser IE 5.5) and created an new problem in its place. by going with a third party Ad server (they used to all be located on a TGN server) I will do some checking, fire off a few potent emails and see if I can get this crap resolved...Again...Hmmm, I just noticed I abbreviated THURSDAY incorrectly in the thread title...Oh well, too late now! biggrin.gif

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest Madmatt

Ok, I have done some more testing and here is what I have found. The problem as indicated above seems to be with Netscape browsers as all my IE based systems at work can access the site with out a problem. As a workaround, for those with Netscape, hitting the STOP button (after about 45 seconds or so) will stop the attempt to attach to HOST banners.orbitcycle.com and allow the actual CONTENT of the page to display as normal. I am sending some email right now to the President of TGN to resolve this issue. This is NOT a problem with any of my code on CMHQ and it is affecting pretty much all the TGN sites (onen wway or the other) that have undergone a upgrade recently.

Rest assured I WILL get to the bottom of this and I will pass on any relevant info...

Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention..I am on the case gentlemen... wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Not very likely. The first we will know of when the game is ready is when the gold demo shows up for download - and since Steve said they are working on textures for the next couple weeks, that ain't gonna be it.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

Guest Madmatt

Wrong again!

Its coming soon, the surprise that is...Just gotta get the CMHQ update ready then all will become clear...

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-03-2000).]