Where's my (ok depleted) squad?

While playing the Arnhem operation last night, a Para sqad I finished the second battle with finished the second battle with a strength of 2 and with a big exclamation mark, being severely beaten up by HE.

Well, turns out the squad decided to desert in the next battle! It was not there. I am sure I have not overlooked anything.

Has anybody seen that before? Is it a "feature", or am I hallucinating?

Sigh, and I thought Red Devils would die rather than desert... smile.gif

------------------

I feel like I'm standing in front of the monkey cage at the zoo. - HiramS

I have seen it before, and I believe it is a feature.

Examples:

1.) In that same Arnhem campaign (first battle), I had a MG team that was covering two beaten-up infantry teams, keeping the Brits down while the remnants of those teams ran back to the bridge. The MG was then surrounded after the infantry escaped, and managed to waste 27 paratroopers. 2/3rds of 'em were killed by the time the battle ended and night dropped.

Next battle, the MG team was gone. I can only assume they were cut off and either killed or captured...

Iron Cross, Posthumously...

2.) Wittmann's campaign. Sometimes, a tank or two will be destroyed between battles (one assumes by airpower) and you will see the burnt out shells at the beginning of the following battle.

All perfectly realistic, way I figure it. It means pretty consistent, so I figure it must be a feature.

I haven't played an operation in a while, but I remember that badly beaten up units were withdrawn from the battle at the end of each round of fighting. I haven't noticed any randomly destroyed armor though. The only wrecked armor I have seen is tanks that were knocked out in the previous round. Abandoned tanks may also remain, but sometimes they are recovered for repair.

Well, what I think I've noticed is that if you have a platoon which is say, down to about half-strength (say only 13 out of 27 original men), spread over 3 squads, that the survivors are redistributed into just 2 squads. Possible I just imagined this, but it seems to make a certain amount of sense to me. I'll check if I have chance later today.

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps

Pvt. Ryan: I thought it was a little odd myself at first, but I reloaded the save game right before the battle ended and watched every single tank I had.

I didn't need to, every Brit was either captured/routed/dead. EVERYone of them... biggrin.gif

But it turned out that, yes, I lost a Tiger and a Pz IV. Hardly surprising from a realism standpoint, airpower WAS pretty prevalent in the battles. However, I think my Tigers were mustang-proof... biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by I/O Error (edited 12-06-2000).]