manual?

After a few days of playing through the three CM demos I went off into town today in search of one of them. Having had no luck I managed to find a copy of BO at the last chance saloon, which was PC World of all places. It was the Xplosiv copy.

On installing it I found that it has no manual on the disc, and obviously no paper one as it was an Xplosiv version. Did the original game come with a manual? I was hoping for a rundown of the basics. Like how to move which units when, what units are good where, if I should tell units to shoot and generally how much fiddling I should be doing between the action and how much to leave to the units to do off their own bat. Real basic stuff that isn't discussed online really.

My only experience of a similar game is Close Combat Bridge Too Far and I'm no war buff so am a bit clueless. I've managed to draw in one demo, get a minor defeat in another get a major defeat in another and win one, though by luck more than judgement I think.

I could have done with a manual to refer to really, so I'm a bit disappointed to not find one. It's not a simple game to learn after all. Not if you're me anyway ;)

[ October 28, 2005, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Blighty ]

Hi,

It's great to see a new CMBO player. It's the best tactical wargame ever. If you haven't figured out yet, there are two follow on games that have many improvements over CMBO, although they move the theater of action to the Russion front and the Mediterranean. Most people are playing and discussing the later games, although there is a gigantic amount of information and improvements for CMBO developed over the years. I'm just getting back into CMBO myself and am amazed.

Without the manual, you are handicapped - really recommend you order a copy of the game to get it. If you have any feeling that this is the game system for you - get the whole 3 game set - you wont be disappointed.

Here's some references you can use in the meantime:

Look for "ATTN total newbies" above item #1:

CMBO Oracle

Some further articles are in "CMHQ". Look for the "Articles" tab/button. A great article is "infantry on the attack" - it realy organised my think on how to play this game:

http://www.combatmission.com/

Some more articles by the same author, although the picture links are broken:

ScoutPL's tutorial page

Have fun - I hope this helps.

Regards,

Erik "ekrommen"

Hi ekrommen, as you will see from my subsequent post, sent after yours, I did find a pdf version of the manual on the CD. I'm glad you think I would have been handicapped without it! I did feel that way. ;)

I did want to buy Afrika Korps really, or preferably the anthology, but as I say, the only game in town was this one. They're not easy to get hold of, it seems. Command and Conquer clones yes, intelligent strategy games, no.

I also want to get a copy of Strategic Command, but that's equally difficult to get hold of. I'll probably buy that, and the other CMs online. If I find I can cut it!

thanks

Blighty

• 3 weeks later...

I scavenged it from the Electronics Boutique bargain bin for $4, along with Settlers 3, Galactic Civilizations, Il-2 Sturmovik, and Hegemonia. All 5 for about $20 total. I love bargain bin raids smile.gif I guess I could e-mail the support guys. Maybe they can arrange to send me a replacement PDF for a small fee. Though I swear a long time ago I downloaded the Barbarossa to Berlin demo, and that demo came with a pdf manual.

Oh, almost forgot to mention. On rare occasion in the game shops here in Dallas-Ft. Worth I do find various Combat Mission games. New ones too still in boxes.

Thanks, I will try that. I didn't meant to say anything was illegitimate. I just think it is cool to see these games on the shelves once in awhile for a little variety.

Most of the shops around here are starting to stock only your run-of-the-mill console games. Which is great, I like my XBox. I can pick up TOCA 2 or Sega GT load a track, race for 10 to 20 minutes and then put it down and do what I need to do. Try doing that with Combat Mission!

However they have taken that abit far, it's almost nothing but console games now. In fact the last shop to stock a bargain bin is getting rid of it. That's how I got Combat Mission so cheap, it was a clearance sale.