Problem with CM and Windows 2000

For whatever reason, I am unable to run Combat Mission on my system here in the office. The Demo ver. works fine, however the full ver. that I just received today does not. It just show's up in the taskbar and locks up the computer.

The system that I am having the issues with is:

Compaq AP-400

Duel Processor, Intel P-III 700mhz

640MB Ram

Windows 2000 SP1

Matrox G-400 Duel Head video card

Any ideas, suggestions?

-David

When you launch CM you never see any of the splash screens or the QuickTime movie, just the taskbar icon ? Do you have QuickTime 4 installed on your W2K system ?

What is the sound card/chip in your Compaq ? Do you know if it is sharing an IRQ with your video or other often-used device in your system ? Is your video card/chip sharing an IRQ ? What drivers do you have installed for the Matrox - are they Compaq-supplied versions or Reference versions from Matrox ?

Oh... and are you leaving the CDROM for CM in one of your CD/DVD drives while you attempt to play ?

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 10-12-2000).]

Hey DNDC,

I run CM under Win2K on a dual 500MHz processor machine, 256MB RAM, 16MB nVidia TNT video card, SB Live audio.

Check with Compaq on your video drivers for the latest version. That's usually the biggest source of technical difficulties.

Now for the fun post:

I know why it seems like the computer locks up. It isn't. Those duel processors of yours are locked in a heated CM battle, probably a meeting engagement somewhere around the 320MB RAM line.

Now if you were to buy some friendlier processors, that would be happy in a dual processor machine, htey might even let you play for a while...

wink.gif

(When you launch CM you never see any of the splash screens or the QuickTime movie, just the taskbar icon ? Do you have QuickTime 4 installed on your W2K system ?)

No movie or splash screen, just the taskbar icon, and the task manager says it is not responding.. I do have Quicktime installed

(What is the sound card/chip in your Compaq ? Do you know if it is sharing an IRQ with your video or other often-used device in your system ? Is your video card/chip sharing an IRQ ? What drivers do you have installed for the Matrox - are they Compaq-supplied versions or Reference versions from Matrox ?)

It's just a generic creative labs PCI sound card, on IRQ 11 (Shared by my NIC).. The Matrox is using the latest reference drivers (Not the beta's) ver. 5.03.025 Also, I do have the CD in the drive when trying to run CM.. And I also, have downloaded the update to CM via this website..

Thanks!

-David

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Hey DNDC,

Now for the fun post:

I know why it seems like the computer locks up. It isn't. Those duel processors of yours are locked in a heated CM battle, probably a meeting engagement somewhere around the 320MB RAM line.

Now if you were to buy some friendlier processors, that would be happy in a dual processor machine, htey might even let you play for a while...

wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, yeah you got me there.. smile.gif

-David

I have no idea if the latest flash BIOS for the AP400 has anything to do with video/AGP, but what version is your BIOS ? The latest is 99.07.10 A (dated 4-17-00).

I'm not sure what software you have installed for your mouse, but the latest Logitech drivers are posted here too. Usually the mouse drivers shouldn't lock up CM when it is loading though.

Compaq updates for AP400:

http://www5.compaq.com/support/files/workstations/us/locate/20_158.html

Is your SoundBlaster PCI card built into the motherboard or is it a separate PCI card ? Do you know the chipset number (i.e. - 1371 or 1373, etc.) or the Creative CT# if it is a card (i.e. - CT4570, etc.) ? Have you checked for newer drivers for your SoundBlaster ? If you SoundBlaster is a separate PCI card, could you move it into a different PCI slot to share an IRQ with another device ? Admittedly this can be a bit tricky since Windows will quite often attempt to assign the same IRQ, even if the PNP BIOS initially gives the device a different IRQ.

You may want to kill any processes you have running before starting up CM. I can't think of any particular services that would interfere with CM. I would also suggest launching CM and pressing the Shift key (after, but quickly after, launching CM) to keep it from running the QuickTime movie.