Bazooka

Lucky...that type of thing happens...it's happened to me too. Actually things a lot worse have happened to me. Like me Tiger was hit by three Hellcat shells and a bazooka round with in about 4 seconds of each other. One time in LD I called in a little mortar fire as Allies) to support a bazooka team who's cover had been blown when it was about 20 meters from the Tiger. I had a perfect shot and it didn't say loading anymore so I assume it was ready to shoot and right when he was about to shoot a 60mm mortar and a grenade destroyed him. I was so pissed! It was my last bazooka and he was in the perfect spot!

------------------

Visit my Combat Mission for Mac page! Fully redesigned interface!

cm4mac.tripod.com

Guest Zigster

What Bill said. The zook (and all other shaped charge weapons) has exactly the same penetrating power at ten miles as it does at ten feet. It just has to hit.

As Bill just found out sometimes your zook teams just can't hit period. I hate staging an ambush, having the tank drive to within 40 meters of you, and your guy plowing dirt or shooting bottle rockets.

Lorak

P.S. i guess i made member and didn't know it. smile.gif

------------------

"A stupid man dies a stupid death."

I have had much better experience killing tanks with the panzerschreck than I have with the bazooka, albeit I have had some terrible luck at close range as described above.

Can someone give me a little bit of analysis on the bazooka v schreck technical comparison. Was the schreck a shape carge too? Which had more blast power? Any statistical analysis available on what killed the Shermans/German Tanks in WWII?

I assume that BTS is modelling these as equal percentage chance to hit based on experience level of soldiers.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Guest Zigster

The schreck was a German copy of the Bazooka, first encountered in Africa. The bazooka fired a 60mm rocket. The schreck was an 88mm. Both used a shaped charge warhead for AT work. Don't have any penetration data, but it's my understanding that the schreck was a true tank killer, while the zook was much more mediocre.

Guest Big Time Software

KIA, yeah, you got pretty lucky there. Not unrealistically lucky, but don't count on such hits every game smile.gif

The outside effective range for a bazooka is about 200m. We even read of one case where it was a bit longer than this (220?), but we are talking ideal conditions and it took something like 8 shots I think.

If you like, there are some pretty detailed threads about zook ranges and effectiveness. Some of 'em pretty lively IIRC as there were a few people that though the effective range was about 100m, so we had to bring out the evidence for why this is not correct. 100m is a good range to shoot at, but it is not a max by any stretch of imagination.

Steve