OT: Any good naval carrier games?

Wayne

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good carrier wargame for computor? After playing CM in real time I keep imagining a game that would depict the carrier battles in the Pacific in WWII. It would be a cross between "Fighting Steel" and a stratigic air war game. You would control the placement of ships and their direction, be able to make up and launch attacks, plan the attack route and conduct the attack on both a stratigic level and a tactical level. Not so much a air war simulator but you could direct a torpedo squadron to make a run on an enemy ship much like you direct the movements for units in CM. You would be able to turn your carriers into the wind to launch or recover aircraft, deploy your ships to prepare for incoming air attacks. Just dreaming but I think it could be a cool game.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

I'm not sure about that type, but CFS2 is going to be modeling flight simulation of carrier air operations, even to the point of having a flight officer to direct your landings, with flag signals. It's sounding pretty realistic.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne:

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good carrier wargame for computor? After playing CM in real time I keep imagining a game that would depict the carrier battles in the Pacific in WWII. It would be a cross between "Fighting Steel" and a stratigic air war game. You would control the placement of ships and their direction, be able to make up and launch attacks, plan the attack route and conduct the attack on both a stratigic level and a tactical level. Not so much a air war simulator but you could direct a torpedo squadron to make a run on an enemy ship much like you direct the movements for units in CM. You would be able to turn your carriers into the wind to launch or recover aircraft, deploy your ships to prepare for incoming air attacks. Just dreaming but I think it could be a cool game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might try "Fighting Flat tops" , it's an online game.(look for it at thegamers.net) Haven't tried it myself but keep meaning to. Really loved the boardgame Midway that is basically what you are looking for and I hope that a game comes along with this premise too.(I have converted it to Exel for PBEM play via ICQ but it isn't really a "computer" game)

Matrix is building a "new" Pacific War with Gary Grigsby that will be grand strategic for the Pacific. In fact they have re released the original (fixed up) free for download to hold you over. Again, can't comment on it yet. Last but not least, Pacific Tide has been in development for quite a while and looks promising if it ever comes to reality.

regards

------------------

What you see depends mainly upon what you look for.

Try Fleet Command "with the new database" from the warship database project people.

They have added a bunch of enhancements to the game. This will hold me over unitl Harpoon 4 comes out.......if ever. http://www.naval-warfare.co.uk/

sniperscope

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When CM arrived, all other land based war games became crap.

sniperscope<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 oldies come to mind. Carriers at War (SSG) and Carrier Strike (SSI). Both good operational carrier games-but old. Try Grigsby's Pacific War as mentioned above for the whole pac. campaign. Hasn't been anything new in this area for quite a while.

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Napoleon1944:

Pacific Air War by Microprose. Pretty good flight sim for its day. I loved dive bombing carriers! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PAW was a great flight sim. Way ahead of it's time in flight modeling and gameplay..had a flawless H2H system. What I liked most was the ability to film your dogfights with the AI. On replay you could even jump into the opponents cockpit if you wanted and watch the fight from his eyes and from several different angles. Very realistic, and a bit spooky.

I recently downloaded PAW, and it was one file. It wasn't an exe. file, so I couldnt get it to run. It looked like a DAT. file or something. My being DOS illiterate doesnt help either.

Can you tell me how to run the program?

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

If you would ever be interested in a non computer naval wargame ... one of the best, was also one of the first. That's FLAT TOP.

It's a great play still.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy have you got that right! I keep saying that it would make the basis for an excellent computer game, even better than the original board game because you wouldn't have to hunt up an umpire.

BTW, I have not only the Avalon Hill version of the game but the original Yaquinto release.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

BTW, I have not only the Avalon Hill version of the game but the original Yaquinto release.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael, I knew there was a publisher by someone before Avalon Hill, but Yaquinto was not it. Wasn't there another? "Something"-Line Games maybe????????????

Right on though, that game with an umpire was awesome.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!