Good armor museums in the US?

Does anyone know of a good armor museum in the US? I've been to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland a number of times. Their "field of tanks" is great in that there's a lot of vehicles, and you're free to walk up (but not climb on/in) to them, but the vehicles are in so-so shape (being left outside for a few decades doesn't help I guess).

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

Jeez... guess it's been awhile since I was last at Aberdeen. Just checked their website and it looks like they're trying to renovate the vehicles and come up with a building to house them all.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

The Patton Museum at Fort Knox is good. They have a couple of very rare vehicles (the only Panther II hull in existence, mated with a normal G turret) and a cutaway King Tiger. A good collection of small arms, as well as the car in which Patton sustained his fatal injuries.

The only problem I have with the museum is the fact that they display only a small portion of vehicles they actually have. Many nice specimens are tucked away in backlot warehouses.

If you're near Chicago, the Cantigny Museum in Wheaton or West Chicago (?) is pretty interesting. Not more than a dozen AFVs IIRC, but a great afternoon destination.

It's run by the McCormick Foundation, and has a lot of great displays, wakl-thru diaramas etc. devoted to The Big Red One.

Yeah, I've been to Cantigny. It might even be in Warrenville, but if you got the name, it's not hard to find. You can climb on the tanks there, but you can't go inside, and they're all painted the same dark green color, probably to preserve them as they're all outside. I don't think they have any German armor though. The war museum there is pretty cool. They have a neat D-Day exhibit and a bit about Bastogne.

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

The Patton Museum in KY is one of the best, I used to live in Louisville so a day trip to Ft.Knox wasn't bad, you can spend a day there just taking in all the tanks. Then I moved to VA, and am close to Aberdeen, about 3-4 hrs away, its got some good armor, but if they were to renovate, refurbish, and move everything in doors they would have a heck of a collection to look at. Problem is there is no funding for things like this, the government wont give any money, the citizens give, but its not enough. A nice loan from the passing Clinton adm would be great, with that 2 trillion dollar budget surplus just sitting in the hands of those weasel democrats. When Bush gets into office he'll give some of it back to the citizens, maybe some to fix up Aberdeen.

Yes the Patton museum is great, though about half their tanks are in storage. You have to make an appointment to see these.

Hopefully, Bush will grant some extra funds to military museums. He is willing to put more money towards the military, which is probably good for me since that's where I'm going in about a year. Too bad I'm too young to vote.

------------------

Ah scheist.

I don't care if you are going to vote Bush or Gore, but to think that Bush is going to give money to museums is misrepresenting his position. The Repubs generally have supporeted decreases in museum funding. Cuts to military museums and base closing has been bi-partisan, but lets not think that an increase in military spending from the Repubs is going to go to museaums

Guest Mike the bike

Wonderful - thanks for the URL - I spent a day wandering around the outdoor park about 20 years ago - but there's a lot more there now!!

I specifically remember small arms rounds being stuck in the armour of the Jagdtiger!

I was at the Patton Museum about a year ago with a camera that did not work. It was very nice and they have plans for a new building also. the cut away Tiger alone is worth the trip.

Dave

------------------

My front is pushed back.My right gives way.Situation Excellent! I am attacking!

Ferdinand Foch 1916