More On Arty

Guest Mirage2k

Guest Mirage2k

In the Beta Demo (old, I know!!!!) artillery fire directed against troops in woods or trees does no actual damage against the terrain...there's either a crater or it airbursts. In the Gold version (or the current beta build) is it possible to physically destroy terrain features? For instance, eliminate a plot of trees that might be hiding infantry? I'm thinking of those WWI pictures of previously wooded areas turned into "no-man's land" by massed artillery strikes. Would that even be possible with the tactical-level arty strikes we are able to perform in CM?

-Andrew

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Also remember the time involved in any given scenario being roughly only 20-40 minutes. Also just how many turns does an arty barage last too? A minute or three, if every round is fired?

Granted several arty hits on buildings would be more effective in destroying those, but I'd say destroying foiliage is a bit different. Especially since the tree graphic representations aren't one-to-one. You could probably apply the same logic to the three-man squad.

Guest Mirage2k

Okay, so the WWI thing was an extreme example. But even so, I would think a couple 105s coming down in the woods would do some damage, which could be noticable at CM's scale. If a shell can take down a house, I'd think it could take down some trees.

Of course, with the Gold version almost done, this is kind of a moot point. I also recognize that various levels of "tree damage" might be hard to implement graphically (could be a drain on the processor too). Just a thought.

-Andrew

Guest Madmatt

Yes, HE rounds (and not just from artillery) have a chance of igniting terrain. I have seen several instances (in the demo even) of terrain tiles bursting into flame due to Artillery or HE fire. Its rare, but it does happen.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

I have seen several instances (in the demo even) of terrain tiles bursting into flame due to Artillery or HE fire. Its rare, but it does happen.

AWESOME!!!!

Keith

Madmatt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>